Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi all....new to site

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:37 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi.
Wish I didn't have to be here, I know everyone has a story, I just wish mine wasn't coming back round again. Had C7 ACDF in 2001, hardware malfunction in 2007, blew a screw, my life story, so C4 C5 C6 C7 ACDF with prosthetic discs, plates, cage, screws, just bout everything I guess...currently in Iraq, having some issues last few days..not a good place to be to have these issues, no way to really have a peace of mind x-ray or mri, out of the question. So just hoping someone would listen to my fears, because right now, Al Qaeda isn't as scary as my crazy aching neck....
and, ironic as it is..I am a paramedic here...but can't save myself....well thank you for reading this...
advertisement

Comments

• Your post is certainly unique. Thank you for your service. I can't imagine being so far from home and having spine problems. I guess all you can do is be careful with your neck and try not to put any additional stress on it until you can get some treatment. Does ice or heat help any with the pain?

I'm a lumbar spiney so I'm afraid I don't have much to offer you, but a warm welcome. I hope you'll be able to get some attention soon.

Stay safe--
    Gwennie
  • Hi there and welcome from another new member! While everyone does have a story, I can't imagine having to deal with yours! I am new to posting here, but I can say with assurance that by posting you are opening your "door" to new friends and possibly people that have similar issues even if they do not have the geographical ones you are dealing with now.

I hope you are able to findrelief. calm and ease of mind soon! *hugs*
  • Are you in the service? as a paramedic? Seems crazy that you are with neck problems such as yours. How do you do it?

Best to you,

Marianne
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer each other support and answer what questions we can. thank you so much for your work over there but i am sorry you are in pain. i wish i had a magical cure for you but of course there is no such thing. just know we are behind you and here if you need us. :D all the best! Jenny :)
  • I can only imagine how scary it must be to be in another country and experiencing such spinal issues. I am glad that you have found this site as you will find much understanding and support.
  • Actually I am a private Army contractor, paramedic, take care of 1000+ personnel...I never saw my neck problems as anything other than an inconvenience, I was told I would never work again, after the last surgery, so I went back to work 8 weeks post-op, out of spite really, and was fine, well, it was difficult, in hindsight, but the other option was not feasible to me...so I went back to work, on an ambulance, doing the 911 thing...then came here last December..I did not expect to have any issues with the neck, haven't done anything that difficult here, no lifting or anything, much easier than my job back home...just wish I could be ok while I am here...is causing me a bit of anxiety, praying for relief, praying it is all in my head, and not my neck...
    thank you for your replies...
  • Sorry you're having more pain issues while serving overseas, but good that you found us. We're happy to give you support or just >:D< >:D< . How long do you have left to serve in Iraq?

Hope you can come home soon and have an MRI done.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
    Does that mean you are a civilian or part of the armed forces?
    Way back in the 1970's, the armed service would not draft or accept anyone that had spinal surgeries, fusions, etc
    I dont know of the Military has changed their views on this.
    Thats way I am asking the question
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I'm a civilian private army contractor.
    I was 100% cleared to resume my job, full duty, back in 2007, 6 months after the C4-C7 surgery. Never had a problem, haven't done anything to exacerbate this, I don't even lift people anymore, so not sure why I am having strange sensation in my anterior neck now. I am beginning to get depressed by it, I have too many people depending on me back home, I can't be hurt again. :(
  • :D Welcome!

Thinking of you so far away. Do you have any options for getting to a medical facility as close as possible outside of Iraq so that you can have an x-ray or mri? I can't imagine that as a private contractor to the Army that they would not extend some sort of aide to you if you have a medical emergency, especially as a paramedic.

In the meantime, just take extra care of yourself and use ice and maybe some anti-inflamatories to help with any swelling issues. What about prednisone? I'm sure as a paramedic you know more than what I'm suggesting but just want you to feel better and not worry.

Take care and keep us posted on your condition.

Judy
advertisement