Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello From California

FannyMaeFFannyMae Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone! Well I had a nice long introduction typed out listing all my problems etc etc etc lol but somehow deleted it! So just hello for now will suffice :) Thank you for being here I feel utterly blessed to have found this site! My fusion surgery is on October 22nd. After suffering the pain of the damned for many months I am hoping it is soon over or at least better. Well that is a slight exaggeration but not by much!

I do have a question. Has anyone experienced their worst pain when they first stand up after laying down? That is when it is the pain of the damned, I can barely stand it.

Ok enough before I delete this one!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

I am glad you found this site, you will find lots of information and support here.

Good luck for your surgery on 22nd.

Take care

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I know that pain! It's awful. Try the following to get up from lying down. You should do this also after surgery. Its called a log roll.

Best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    I get that pain only when getting up in the morning. But not from a short time of lying down.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hi FannyMae and welcome to Spine-Health. :)))

Sometimes I get bad pain when getting up but that was during winter or when I was having more bad nights when I was working and sitting most of the day. I've been doing lots of stretching every day for the last few months and starting to sleep better. I mostly do the log roll when getting out of bed or if I forget, then I sit on the side of the bed for a little while before putting my feet on the ground. My worst pain is standing and walking during the day.

What levels are you having fused? I'm having an ALIF L4/5 on the 19th just a few days before you. Hope all goes well for you on the 22nd.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck on your upcoming surgery. please be sure you are prepared to take care of yourself after your surgery. check out the "Back and Neck" surgery forum for more info on that. :D good luck! Jenny :) p.s. i am a California girl too!
  • Welcome! Good luck with your surgery on the 22nd.
  • I just wanted to say welcome! You didn't say if your problems are neck or back. There are many here who can offer support and compassion as you prepare for your upcoming fusion, and then during your recovery period. You've found a great site full of articles written by physicians, interactive videos, and many educational tools. on top of that is this awesome forum. There is much more to this site than the forums, so make sure you click the links to do research about your condition and upcoming surgery.

By the way, I just wanted to comment that I love the name. I work very part time as a listing agent for a few Fannie Mae properties. Don't work much, but I am thankful for the properties to sell. It does sadden me though to do the initial inspection of the home and find evidences of the family who previously lived there. It is so devastating to lose your home, and my heart breaks for these people. Sorry, off topic I know, just had to comment on what your name reminds me of.

Again, welcome to this wonderful site. Feel free to ask lots of questions. You'll soon fit right in.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla
  • Hi all thank you SO MUCH for the kind replies. I haven't been back since I first joined and I certainly should I am constantly doing research on this surgery I want it to go well so I don't go through this any longer or ever again! I know there are no guarantess but I am a researchaholic in any case :)

The surgery is on my spine and here is what the Dr. wrote. The strange thing was during my pre op appt. on the 9th the surgeon decided to do some xrays. He actually phoned me personally (!!) to tell me there was more damage than originally thought and that it is severe. So he said something about instead of 1 of 5 discs being repaired there will be 2 of 5 fused. He wrote (before the xray):
    L4/F / L5/S1 decompression/fusion/instrumentation/interbody/allograft/autograft (possible ilial crest bone graft) bone morphogenic protein used.
    There's more but it jus tsort of talks about screws and rods. But apparently this isn't everything but I'll find out the morning of the surgery lol. I just want it to be over!

RE my name, my great Grandma's name was Fanny Mae and she had red hair so I was named after her. Oh wow was I the 'butt' of many jokes as a kid!

Thank you again you guys are all so wonderful!