Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI monday for after surgery problems

Justin66JJustin66 Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Say a prayer for me I go Monday to have a MRI due to constant pain in my lower back, except on the opposite side of my Aug. 18th surgery. I have had some, what the doc says as "odd" problems ever since I had surgery.

I haven't done anything to reherniate, if there is anything there it would have been left from what the surgeon wasn't able to see or get out. I sure hope there isn't anything there im not ready for a second surgery already.

I still have sciatica just not as bad as right after surgery. I did get my muscle strength back in my left leg and my right ankle is a small bit better. At least I had some progress.

Im thinking about asking my Surgeon to try nuerontin and physical therapy. My family doc let me try Cymbalta since I was having depression along with nerve issues, but by day 2 it was making me so nauseated I couldn't get out of bed. I don't see how some folks can get used to taking it. On my first day it helped, but it hadn't made me sick yet and it did relieve some of my pain.

This MRI is with contrast, so im told they will inject die into me. Has this made any of you sick, just wondering what to expect here.

• They will inject gadolinium for the last part of the scan. As long as you do not have kidney disease, you should be fine. Most people do not feel anything unusual when the med is injected, or have any reaction to it. Sometimes they will start an IV line and put in the gadolinium through the IV. I have also had it when they just injected it directly into my lower arm....

So your pain is now mostly in your lower back, rather than your leg??

If you start neurontin (gabapentin) or Lyrica, be prepared to feel very tired at the beginning. Hopefully you will get some relief, if you have nerve pain.

Take care,
  • Yes the pain is mostly in my lower right back and hip. I had surgery for a left side herniation on the L4/L5. There are sharp pains right on the top of my hip exactly where my left side first started hurting when I first injured myself.

I still have some sciatica in my left leg, mostly when im sitting in a chair.

• i will be praying for you.
  • Please keep taking it- I was the same way and each day got better- by day 5 I was good to go and feeling much better. This med has REALLY helped me with both nerve pain and emotional issues as well.

Good luck!
  • MRI came back clean. He said he seen nothing that would cause a need for more surgery or any concern. That is at least some positive progress.

I got a copy of the MRI for myself not that I would have any idea what I was seeing but the huge blob that was covering my nerve before surgery is not there anymore.

He didn't really have any answer for my leak weekness other than saying its just been 8 weeks since surgery it takes some people a long time to heal. I asked what could cause my back pain to move from side to side, I asked if it could be inflammation. He told me even though the outside looks good the inside is another story and of course its inflammed.

He wrote me up for physical therapy I start in the morning, hopefully this will help my recovery.

Small progress but i'll take it.