Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good Days ?Bad Days, is that Good or Bad?

LumpyLLumpy Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Okay, Now that I made a very confusing subject line, let me try to explain. History: 6 weeks with neck pain, herniated disks at C6C7, C5C6 and impingement at C3C4 showed on MRI in early September. Since then, I have had several weeks of rest and PT. Recommendation by the NS was wait and see but probably I would need a fusion at C6C7.

The thing is, I started with all bad days. Some excruciating with radiating pain down arms, etc. Now I will have a couple of good days with virtually no pain, and then a bad day, or a few bad days and a few good days. It used to be according to what I was doing (computer work was the worst). Now there seems to be no pattern. Is this good or bad? This morning I woke up with tingling hands after a very restless night of moderate pain. This is after 5 days of no pain med at all. I’m not sure where this is going to lead and want to hear from others who have been through this.

BTW, I have an appointment with the NS next week.

• My way of thinking, is that any good day is a good thing. However, the only one who can give you a solid answer that pertains to you and your particular situation, is your NS. If you haven't been logging down the pain patterns and daily activities, try doing that between now and the appointment with your NS. It really helps to develop a better "picture" of what is going on. Sometimes what we think we are experiencing and what we really are, wind up looking totally different when "mapped out".

A lot of times we go through an acute phase with our initial injury. As it heals, then the symptoms either resolve or something else chronic develops. It's kind of a transition. Being able to describe what you feel and where you feel it and how frequently you feel it, goes a long way towards helping your NS determine a course of action or a timetable for action.

Hope that makes sense.

• Not to sound Negative but i was at that point and things just slowly became progressively worse day by day over a year or so...

Now im trying to find out what would be the best surgery to get...
  • I hear you, C. In fact, I think I am at the transitional state where it could go either way. It has to do something, though. Even if it leveled off with moderate pain, I wouldn’t be able to do my job. My job is pretty physical so it is all or nothing. Time will tell, but I have very little patience.

I have started to log the bad days. Where, when, and how bad. I found out I have “pain amnesia”. The day it happens I’m in agony. Two days later I have forgotten how badly it really hurt.

JKDE302, that isn’t too negative. That’s exactly what I want to learn for everyone’s experiences.

• Hi,

I have severe DDD in lumbar to S1, and more recently severe DDD from C3-C7 and kyphosis. At first my neck was stiff and painful for a week. A few weeks later I started getting the numbness and tingling on right side. Now some days my neck doesn't give me much problems, others, it does.
    My back bothers me every day. Go figure.

I think we all just need to be thankful for the days that are less painful, I know I am.
  • I just re-read my last sentence of my post and don't want anyone to think that I was being unkind or sarcastic (lots of translation can get lost when reading post). I know from these last so many years that its good to celebrate the good days and appreciate our limits on the bad days.

Logging into a book is a good idea to track what is going on. Maybe I should try that with my upcoming fusion and neck issues.
  • lisa burek said:
    I know from these last so many years that its good to celebrate the good days and appreciate our limits on the bad days.
    Thats Real, I respect your statement...