Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new sciatic issue

Justin66JJustin66 Posts: 95
I had a discectomy on Aug.18th. When I woke up from surgery I had sciatic pain in my left leg which is the side that was herniated the pain was just stronger im sure from the nerve being moved around. The sciatica eased up but I started feeling it in my calf after a few weeks. Now I woke up this morning with feeling sciatic issues in my first two toes.

My question is does anyone have any experience with this? Could it be that the nerve is trying to grow some and the sciatic issues change with the growth?

Im having an MRI tomorrow for problems ive been having on my right side so I guess I will see if there is a reherniation issue or something else.

• I should have stated that the sciatica after surgery was from my butt to my knee.
  • The nerves 'waking up' and the formation of scar tissue. Hopefully it's not a re-herniation! Have you done anything like lifting, squatting, bending, or anything else that could re-injure it? Too much sitting can be extremely bad after surgery as well (I learned that the hard way).

Good luck with the MRI!
  • I dont have the sciatic feeling in my toes now. It was around a day that I had that feeling and it stopped.

The surgeon said my MRI looked good.
  • Glad to hear the MRI looks good! You'll probably get on & off pains as the nerves heal/awaken and scar tissue forms. There will also be some periods left where you may encounter some swelling as well. When I just strictly had my discectomy surgeries (w/o the laminectomy), I had on & off various sensations and pains that lasted about 6 months.

You just want to keep an eye on weakness, increased pain that's not controlled by pain meds, bladder/bowel issues and numbness that doesn't go away. You're still in the time frame to go through lots of 'pins & needles', tingling etc...

What level was the discectomy? I've had them done from L3-4 down to L5-S1 and remember different stuff I went through from each level. Like when they did L5-S1, I was about a month out of surgery and I woke up one morning with the most intense pain in my butt (wasn't sciatic feeling), it felt like my tail bone was snapped in half or something. I went through that for about 3-4 days and the surgeon explained and showed me the nerves that were irritated and re-awakening etc... If you had it done higher up, like L3-4 you may get some residual pain and 'odd' sensations in your thighs etc...
  • My surgery was on the L4/L5. Your right about the tingling, my legs from my calfs down tingle especially when I sit on the couch or any cushioned chair. The tingling isn't near as bad as when I sit in a firm chair but even then if I sit for 30 minutes or so I will start tingling.

I don't have any numbness knock on wood. I don't have any lightning bolt pains down my leg or anything like that either.

This mess has really knocked the wind out of my sail. I feel terrible because I know my symptoms aren't nearly as bad as other people but man this can really get you down im sure you know what im talking about.

Hey i appreciate your replies its nice to have someone to talk to that understands what im talking about.