Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

body pillow

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
For those who have low back pain:

It was suggested to me a few years ago that I buy a body pillow. Since then, it has been parked at the foot of my bed.

What do you do with a body pillow? Is it meant to sleep directly on it?

• In my opinion, those pillows are just for added support... say you like sleeping on your side, but find it uncomfortable. You use the body pillow like another person being there. Kind of "cuddle" with it. OR, lie on your side with the pillow at your back.

I can only sleep on my back. With my legs bent (a pillow under my knees). Sometimes, I want to break the monotony of only laying on my back. If I lay on my side, my right hip wakes me up - but if I use a pillow to support my leg (which ever leg happens to be on top) then it's not so bad.

Hope this clears up things for you.

Have a good night!
  • I need to get another one...lay on your side with pillow towards your front. Drape top arm over pillow and top leg over pillow. Might feel wierd at first, but it gives support. Lots of pregnant women use these too as they get more big and uncomfortable.
  • and I named it "Rod" Ha- just because it makes my boys laugh! When I wash the pillow case they scream that Rod is naked.

Anyways enough about the silly part of it- I use it for support- and I have found it to be very useful!

• hi Hope4leo, my 1st pregnancy I read all I could and one person (Vickie Iovine, great preg. & baby books) mentioned how she called her pillow "Phil", we've got to have a sense of humor about these things!
  • I have been using one for years, i have always been a side sleeper and wrap my legs around it and my arm over it and hug it. It provides support and all around just a nice cuddly feeling. My husband jokes its the "
    other man in my life!!" He is a light sleeper and not a cuddle bug while he sleeps, so this is my alternative!! :))(
    You might learn to like yours, but not everyone does, my mom never could get used to hers, she felt like she was fighting with this large pillow all night!!!
    Good luck!
  • Since my surgery in January and would not be able to get any sleep without it. My hubby and I call it my boyfriend lol!!!