Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

VerminatorVVerminator Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all, this is my first post. I have been reading all I can on topics for ACDF. I will see a NS this Friday to find out what will be happening in the near future. So far I have a C6-7 protrusion and other issues in the area.
I am a bit worried about Autografts and pain. I think would want my own bone in my spine, so I am leaning to this type of bone.
So who of you had this type and tell me about the pain involved. I will most likely do the Autograft, but just have a desire to hear about what to expect. Sorry for the long note.

• Hi Scott,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Allograft, is still considered the gold standard in fusion surgery. I have used my bone twice. I won't lie and say it didn't smart a bit, however I can't say it was the end all, pain either. I actually lived alone and 24 hours after using my bone was taking care of myself. It was my experience the sooner you get the hip moving the easier it will be. The one thing about the pain is you know it will go away, as you recover. Probably a down side to recovery from allograft is if you are a large person. The surgery is a bit more difficult. Would I use my bone again? Yes, I would. I also used BMP in one of my surgeries and I think I will take the allograft and pain over the effects of using the BMP.
  • There is a third option for fusion. My NS is sold on using a synthetic disc impregnated with a bone and adult stem cell compound. He uses hardware also. I forget what it is called. He told me he is getting fusions in about the same amount of time as with allograft without the extra pain. Might be something to ask about.
  • give me a choice of auto or allograft. It was how she did her procedures and for me having a 2 level 360 lumbar fusion was just one less place to not have to heal from. It was not an easy 2 weeks but the 3rd week was better.

Good luck and may you have a speedy recovery!!~

• I also had the synthetic disc and they put bone marrow around it that helps with the fusion. This was a piece of cake compared to my first surgery. I am at one year post op and still don't know if I am fused. At 6 months out, it was starting to fuse.
    I also have had an autograft with my first surgery. It was the worse part of the surgery but honestly you just have to get up and start moving and bearing weight and by day 5 the pain was almost gone.
    I wasn't opposed on my 2nd fusion to autograft again , but the NS at the University said it takes too long to harvest the bone and that the synthetic plug was just as good.
    Good Luck ! bethy
  • metalnecks post:
    Sorry you had that experience. However, my NS used cadaver bone and I started to fuse at 3 weeks - so I guess its true that everyone heals different and saying its a no brainer really doesn't count when it comes to this!!

Good luck and may you have a speedy recovery!
  • Most statistics show that the multi-level fusions are the ones who need the autograft bone and less likely to fuse as well as develop psuedoarthrosis(sp). If you are a single level you may do fine with allograft, statistically. But since the statistics prove autograft has a higher performance than autograft, I would take the autograft over the allograft. As some who has gone through the repeat surgery for psuedo it is no fun and just adds the risk of more scar tissue and a much longer healing time than a straight ACDF surgery using autograft.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    My cadaver implant didn't fuse and lead to another surgery 1.3 years later ... My own hip bone fused within 6 weeks.

The pain of the harvest was nothing compared to having to have the whole surgery again ...

Hmmm ... freeze dried and dead from ??? vs my own live bone?

Experience (for me) makes this one a no brainer,

Good luck and good fusion

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!