Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Grandma, Update on creepy squeezy feeling in back

mamainpainmmamainpain Posts: 127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well you were right about not being in too much of a hurry to recover. I was overly optimistic at 5 1/2 weeks when my creeetbut i realize what you were saying now, i understand i still have a long way to go. I am at 7wks and last week was bad. I am depressed a bit, tired and worried about taking so much pain meds. I stopped the oxycontin, but still and taking the same amount of norco and soma i was when i came home from the hospital. I know I will need to wean off eventually, but i am worried about that, i know it's no picnic. I am also so tired of not quite being in the real world yet. Not bad enough to lay in bed all day, but still not well enough to go back to work, even going to mass is torture, that one hour i am in pain and generally uncomfortable. I know I am being a big whiny but today, but i needed to rant. I do have good stuff, i am sleeping well for the most part, and am walking well. It just seems i am in a bit of a funk and i know it will pass. Thanks all of you for listening to me, i pray for all of us daily!!!

• I just read my post and realized i goofed up a bit, was typing fast, trying to get done so i could go get my coffee!! I hope my ranting makes sense to some of you!
  • We all have days, (or weeks) like this. Unfortunately, recovery is a few steps forward and then at least one back....It is not a straight, upward projectory toward our goals. When we feel good, we overdo it, and then cause a flare or are sore the next day. Our spirits are low when we thought we were making such great progress only to find out it takes very little to knock us back down.

I'm 19 months out from my surgery and as I discovered last night, simply changing the height of a heel by about a half inch is enough to cause me back pain. You just never know what is going to cause you pain or set back your recovery a bit.

Try not to be discouraged. I know it is a long, slow road, but try to just look at it as what it is and deal with it. You won't get much support from family and friends unless they too have back or neck problems. Everyone thinks it should be like having your appendix out, and gee, by seven weeks, you LOOK normal, what's wrong with you??

Try to put all the negative energy out of your mind and just think about giving your body the time and support it needs to heal well.

Granny, oops, Gwennie
  • >:D< Thanks soo much for your reply, you really are a comforting voice out there Gwennie! I feel better today and am coming to realize this IS a process and not a race. I need what i need, If I am tired, i need to rest, if i am antsy, I need to walk, If I am worried, I come here to read, vent, talk etc. One day at a time.
    By the way, I live in the foothills of Northern California and we are having a crazy, wild storm-wind, rain, you name it we got it!!!
  • OOHHHH, pretty country you live in!! Seems like a lot of spineys are type A personalities and really have a hard time letting go long enough to fully recover. They are in such a hurry to get well...that they usually overdo it, and then live to regret the flare it causes.

I probably would have been the same way except that it took me three years to decide to have my fusion. During that time I read many people's posts and learned the lesson beforehand!

I think the weather is crazy all over. WE never really had summer and now it has already snowed near our house -- something that normally might happen around Thanksgiving!!