Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scared, would appreciate help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi, I am a new member.
I had laminotomy and foraminotomy on L5 8 weeks ago. My recent EMG shows nerve damage. My surgeon say it will take a long time to get better. Has anyone had nerve pain (lot of burning and numbness) and recovered? I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you.

L5 Laminotomy Forminotomy August 2009
Emg shows nerve damage that will heal
Still having trouble with post op nerve pain

• Hi Ladybug and welcome to our forum.
    I had nerve pain, tingling and numbness prior to my surgery. It took a few months after the surgery for things to finally calm down and get better. I had a fusion at L5/S1 and all issues with my right leg sciatic pain are resolved.
    Hopes this helps a little. Just hang in there and remember it does take time.
  • I've endured a great deal of nerve throughout my 5 surgeries. One of which was the L4-5 Lami w/ foraminotomy (actually multiple surgeries @ that level). I've had nerve pain vanish almost immediately after surgery, until I was re-injured and I've had other times where it took over a year for the nerve pain, numbness and tingling to subside.

I actually just read an article from UCLA Med. Center stating that it can actually take up to three years for nerves to heal and 'wake-up' after a laminectomy! I was shocked, I knew it could take a long time but never imagine that they could still heal after that length.

I certainly wouldn't worry about it yet, it's way too soon after the surgery. I'm sure there's a lot of swelling still in there as well as the start of scar tissue forming. Have you had your post-op MRI yet? If not, I'm sure your surgeon would order one being you just had surgery not too long ago.

I'd keep an eye of it and write down any changes. Keep a journal of your activity, pain and other 'weird' sensations etc... Hope this helps and I hope you start feeling better real soon!