Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Needs Help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 33 and hace had cronic back pain for years. Last year I had x rays done and found I have 2 disks in my lower back that are herniated. I have tried chiropratic therpy which helped but I have to go once a week to keep my back normal, which is expensive. I also do the ice pack aspercream, and now use Darvocet to control the pain. My doctor treats me like a crackhead when I ask for more pain meds, which I manage very well. Back surgury seems to be the only other options out there. Is there anyone who can give me advise if surgery is the right thing to do?

• Have you seen a surgeon yet? Your primary md is not the one to be treating you for this type of problem. They do not like to just keep prescribing pain meds (or you get one that that is all they want to do!). See a back surgeon and get a second opinion. Just so you know in my opinion, chiropracters don't do anything for herniated discs....but they will take your money and try!!!!!
  • Mamainpain was right chiropracters are not going to really help with herniated discs. If you read about the meds you take you realize all of them have the potential of causing other problems by side effects or addiction.If your Dr is treating you like a crackhead, you need to find another Dr. There are still Dr's that care about their patients. You need to see an Ortho or Neuro Dr and they will advise you of your best options. Praying for better days ahead! God Bless
  • Thanks both of you, I have seen a back surgean about a year ago andhe is for the surgery. I have heard both good and bad about the surgery and was hoping to get some feel from others whom had it done.
  • Having this surgery has been great for me. I'm sure you have read on these post, that many who have had great outcomes from their surgery, leave this site and go on with their lives. 360 surgery is a very big surgery. No one will ever be back to the way God made us, but when the pain gets bad enough, you are ready to do anything with the hope it helps. The decision to have surgery is yours alone to make. If I can answer any questions please PM me. God Bless!
  • I am also glad I had the surgery - despite my complications.

That said- surgery is a very personal decision. Don't make it lightly. It can be life altering, for good or bad.

I do suggest you get more testing done - like a discogram - to determine exactly what needs to be worked on and what is causing your pain. I had deceptive discs... the disc that looked the best was the one that was causing the most pain.

Also - RESEARCH your doctor, ask him his M&M rates. You can never really go back after surgery and wish you had looked closer at your doc.

Best of luck