Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ron - Not always here - Why?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
Recently, I have not been on as much as I normally am. Nothing medically wrong, but I was lucky and I have just started my volunteer work at the Hospital. I requested back in March to be a volunteer at the Rehab center were I go for PT and Aqua Therapy and now, the Independent water program.
So now I am there!

Fridays 9:30-1:30 I sit at the front desk checking in patients who are there to see a therapist.
Now on Tuesdays 1:30 to 5:30, I will be in the Gym/Pool side, checking on Data Base integrity , working on some computer programs, etc.

I feel so good about this. This has been the place along with my Deep Tissue hero who helped give me back a life.
They saved me from a much worse day to day life. So now, I want to repay them even if its in a simple way and to so my gratitude.
It keeps me out of the house, which is good, now that I am retired.

I love doing this for the Hospital, but on the down side, it has taken some online time away from what I generally spend here.

If you dont see me online me, Message me, I will always get those.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• That's great Ron. I am hoping that once the kids are in school full time that I can volunteer to be a "hugger" for the NICU at my local hospital. My second daughter was born 10 weeks early and spent a long time there and I saw parents not able to come all the time due to work and long distances.

Its so good to hear of people giving their time and talents for a good cause. Makes me smile.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Ron

It is always worthwhile doing voluntary work, it is good to get out of the house for a few hours and doing a job which needs to be done.
    As you say though, we won't see so much of you here on the site, but thats ok knowing you love what you are doing

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~Edward Everett Hale
  • Ron, I'm so glad to hear you're able to do something productive outside your home, especially in a place which has obviously done so much for you. Thanks for sharing what you're up to. You may not be here at SH so much, but I have a hunch you'll enjoy your limited time here all the more for being able to do other things to help people as well. Plus, it will help you keep your perspective on life. I've found that spending the majority of my time online with cyberfriends has not always contributed to my wellbeing. It's easy to forget there's another world out there and to become isolated from it and real people you can talk to and see face-to-face. ;)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Congrats on your new passion!! I hope it serves you as well as you do it!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I love volunteering. I hope I can do more of it when I get better. The hours are good and the "pay check" takes the pressure away LOL you don't have to worry about getting fired.

They say to beat depression go out and do something for someone else. You sound like the kind of person that's so busy giving depression must just skip by your door.

Thanks for sharing about your endeavors. It can lead others to do the same.
  • You mean you have a life??? jk. Volunteering says so much more than just writing a check out, to me. I'm glad you found a way to give back to the center that has helped you and can be a positive example to those that are acutely going through spine problems.