Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Things are getting better!

farmhousefanffarmhousefan Posts: 24
Hey, all.

I'm happy to report that, nearly 5 months after a herniation at L5-S1 (third time this disk herniated, after two successful diskectomies), I'm in a lot less pain.

The first three months were excruciating. The pain radiated down the entire left leg to my foot. No pain medications did anything.

I ended up going to PT with a certified McKenzie practitioner. It helped a lot initially, but then seemed to hit a plateau and even began to hurt. So I stopped.

What seems to be helping now, swear to god, is just good posture. I know, I know... sounds nutty. But I read a bunch of articles by Dr. Jolie Bookspan (you can find them online). Her theory, which is shared by many others, is essentially this: the outer layers of a disk are made up of ligaments, just like other ligaments in the body. When we sprain an ankle, we damange the ligaments in the ankle. These will heal IF we imobilize the ankle and avoid re-straining those ligaments. The same is true of our disks. The reason they are slow to heal (or won't heal) could be because we continually re-strain them with bad posture, improper bending and lifting, etc.

After trying so many things this time around (and wanting to avoid fusion surgery at all costs), I began to pay more attention to the way I stood, sat, bent, etc.

I found that I tend to stand unbalanced when doing things like washing the dishes. I began to use a lumbar pillow at work and would carry it to every meeting. I was very careful when I bent down and used my legs.

After a week of this, I felt better. After two, I felt a lot better. After a month, I sometimes forget (for brief moments) that I have sciatica.

I just began Gabapentin 100 mg 3 x a day, and am hoping that adds to the progress I'm making.

Just thought I'd post a little good news.

• It is nice to read these type of posts...

I know what you mean by plateau of the McKenzie as I may be close to that and I can now feel my back is a bit sore but I will take sore muscle over a nerve pain anyday of the week.

I have also become very aware of how I walk lift and sit and agree that probably in cases like ours where the disease with just the slightest movement in the right direction will come off the nerve these type of exercises can make the whole difference in our lives.

Thanks again for the positive post...we need as many as we can get.

• thanks for sharing your success. it's encouraging to hear that our bodies can repair over time.

& your ideas about posture make a lot of sense! i'm adjusting my position as i type this !! :)