Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

any body try

jj-from montrealjjj-from montreal Posts: 60
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Medications
amitriptyline 25mg, has anyone experienced bouts of depreesion at the beginning-within the first month. This happened to me now im on month six and evrything is going too well. Just checking...??For me the most noticable diffence is the fact that im sleeping longer-more time slept
It does not put me to sleep.

• I was taking 50mg for over a year and did not have any side effects at all.But I was also taking Neurotin and Topax with this too. If your depression persists you need to let your doctors know.
  • That's great you've found the majic therapy for you!
    I'm jealous (a tad) but mostly happy for you!

People underestimate the importance of sleep. I know I have not had good restorative sleep in a very long time. And I take a sleep aid! Ambien CR, 12.5mg. With 8mg of Zanaflex for good measure. I go to sleep fast, fast! But only sleep for about 4 hours and wake up.

Congratulations again JJ!

• I take 25 mg of amitriptyline every night as I go to bed. Without it I doubt I could sleep.

I was started out on 50 mg and after 2 nights of sleeping for 17 hrs and still being groggy I cut the pill in 1/2 and let my Dr. know.

Even the 25 gave me a good run for it though. I don't know if I was depressed per say, but I was SO tired that first month I almost gave up on it. However it is such a HUGE help for my insomnia and my diabetic neuropathy, plus it helps my migraines - that I stuck it out and am very happy I did.
  • I have some of those but have only taken 1 tablet. It made me feel sooooo bad the next day. I never tried another. I do not suffer from depression but like all chronic pain people I have problems sleeping.
    I take Klonopin at bedtime and like Jeaux was getting 4 hours sleep until I started taking 1 Benadryl along with it for my pain meds itching and now I sleep ALL night and wake refreshed. Yippeeee
    I am so happy you found something that works for you.
    Good Luck
    Patsy W :H
  • Amitryp - is one of my meds of last resort. I cannot use it on a continual basis. I found that it was a water retainer for me. [keeps me 20lbs over weigth] I had a very dry gum and the next day, felt like I was hung over from a 14 day bender.

I use it when I need to invoke REM sleep. It does force that and for me 75 to 100 mg is the key. I use it infrequently, but keep an active script for it, just in case.

• I never did well on tricyclics either. I've been prescribed amitriptyline, imipramine and I think another one (dothiepin or doxepin, I think), but I didn't like the side effects. Like Pat, I find clonazepam helpful for sleeping and relaxing my back. My family doc (who treats me for hypertension, gout, etc.) prescribes 1mg a day. I seldom get more than 3-4 hours at a time, though. Once in a while I manage to sleep for longer but I invariably wake up in awful pain. It's very frustrating, not being able to sleep well. It affects everything else.

I'm glad amitriptyline is working well for some folks here though, like JJ and Beth. I wish they worked as well for me!
  • I'm glad the amitriptyline is working well for you. I took it before I started having dizziness and didn't feel any effects from it and now I'm taking Cymbalta which is helping with my leg pain. My brother takes it though and he had spinal fusion 25 years ago and just recently started having leg pain and it seems to be helping some with the pain and lifting his spirit also. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN