Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe Back Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Lower Back Pain
I hurt my back years ago during my first and only yoga class. I never got the original injury checked out, as it didn't seem that bad, but years later I am now suffering. I get a niggling pain in my right lower back when laying flat on my back, but the pain gets really bad when I try to get up or turn over. I seem to get stuck in that position until I can find a way to get up. The pain is horrendous. It seems to ease a bit once i've got up and goes completely after i've taken a few steps. Lately i've also noticed that I cant seem to rest my right leg when standing up. If i put all my weight on my left leg, when I try to stand normally again my back seems to lock and I am in agony. After a few minutes, I manage to move but the first few steps are agony and I look like an old woman, but i'm only 35. I'm also noticing problems if I am sitting down for any length of time or if I sit in certain positions. Painkillers do not seem to help at all. I try my best not to lay on my back, but if I accidentally roll onto it in the night, when I try to turn over again, the pain instantly wakes me up. Does anyone have any ideas on what this may be, as I am now starting to get a bit worried that I might of done some serious damage, maybe to the discs or something.

• do you get any of the following
    leg pain {burning}
    sleep problems due to back/leg pain
    does it interfere with going to the toilet
    can you put on you own clothing underwear socks tights etc
    any swelling
    does is ease without any medication
    is it interfering with you life so much you feel you should seek medical advice
    have you had and surgery on that part of your body
    are you worried
    is yes go to you doctor
    meanwhile if you lower back is hot to touch then use an ice pack if cold try a heat spray of hot water bottle /microwave heat pack
    have you had this pain for more than 6 weeks
    the main thing is to no worry because you may just have pulled something and rest and stronger medication will get rid of your problem but a doctors visit would put your mind at rest
    hope this helps
  • If the pain has lasted for years and is now getting worse and it wakes you up at night you really need to see a doc for xrays or MRI. Most muscle pulls resolve themselves in about 6 months. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I agree with seeing a gp to have that checked. It can be anything. I just want to share what I currently have, though. It's severe back spasms due to a car accident I got into a couple of years back. Now, for the pain, I take tramadol. Doc prescribed it. Very helpful. You might want to ask you doctor about it too.
  • Like you do have a disc problem.Probably pushing on nerves in your lower back.As for getting out of bed instead of just trying to sit right up try rolling over first onto your side.Then with your arms help push yourself up sideways.When i was at therapy for my back problems my therapist showed me how to get up from a lying down position so that i don't hurt myself everytime i do it and it seemed to help.
  • Your 'locking' part, the 'not being able to lie on your back' and the 'sitting thing' make yours sound exactly like my problem. My MRI showed a collapsed disc.

In my opinion, you should see a neurosurgeon as soon as possible and get yourself investigated further.

In the meantime, try not to do anything which will exacerbate it (easier said than done, I know!).

Bye, Val
  • Between each vertebrate is a disc. Discs are like watery, gelatinous, fibrous padding that are designed to serve as shock absorbers as your spine expands and compresses as you move. Given how much movement they enable, it’s no surprise that when there is increased shock, you have an increased risk of injury.

Discs are made up of a tougher, outer ring (annulus fibrosis), and a softer inner layer (nucleus pulposus). If the outer layer gets damaged, the inner layer can infringe on the spinal cord’s or spinal nerve’s space and cause pain, numbness and/or weakness. Like sprains and strains, disc injuries typically occur in the lumbar region of the spine; generally only about 10% of disc injuries require surgery.

The severity of a disc injury depends largely on the extent to which the outer or inner ring has been compromised. Disc injuries are caused either by excessive force, trauma to the disc, or degeneration over time as we age. Injuries occur when the soft inner part of the disc protrudes outward against or through the tougher outer ring of the disc, the annulus fibrosis.

Full article on other back issues
This discussion has been closed.