Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I have to decide tomorrow - ACDF or ADR (Prestige or Prodisc)!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Guys,

I am informing the neuro-surgeon in the morning about which surgical route I am going to take. He seems optimistic about the fusion but is willing to do the ADR also. I am 32 years old and want to be able to stay physically fit after my recovery, along with golf and hiking.
I have my mind made up on the ADR, however, if there is anyone that swears by the fusion, please let me know your reasons.
As for the ADR, does anyone have any recommendations regarding the Prestige vs Prodisc? I have heard that the Prodisc can be taken out in the future for a new generation. My doctor mentioned something about the Prestige 2 in a couple of years but I can't wait that long. I know none of these are currently as good as the M6 but I am active duty military and will not be allowed to travel to Germany for surgery and pay out of pocket..
I appreciate your words of wisdom!
advertisement

Comments

• I just seen my friend last night that played on my highschool basketball team here in Delaware...hes 31 and I just turned 30...Anyway he had 2 prodisc put in at c5-6 and c6-7 on May 12 and hes back in the YMCA doing light exercise...Im going to see his doctor because he said his insurance approved the 2 level with pro-disc which i thought was not possible here in the USA...He said the first 3 months was hard and he was in bed at his parents house...You should go on the websites and look at the Prestige and Prodisc pictures and think about which on you would rather have...What disc does your doctor like better?

My mom sent my MRI and X-Rays to stenum in Germany and im waiting to here back from them about the M6...It would really suck to have to go to another country and pay out of pocket but maybe diffrent members of my family would help put some money in...idk yet..

I take your already sold on the ADR because you know if it doesnt work you could always have it taken out and fused..
  • I have decided on an ADR..and am leaning toward the Prodisc-C. There must be long term data from ADR's in Europe but I can't find anything on the internet. I guess there isn't much long term data on the Prodisc-C itself though.
    As for my NS, he has only done 5 ADR's.
  • What does your doc say about prodisc vs prestige?
  • scottpw25 said:

As for my NS, he has only done 5 ADR's.
    wow, you got heart to go with a doc who only did 5 Adr's but even though he only did 5 i would still rather take that risk then a fusion...
  • ^Adrsupport is a good website, I started going on that site because I read so many ACDF horror stories on spinehealth that i became paranoid...

ISpine is also good for alot of info on the Pro-disc

http://www.ispine.org/forum/surgical-outcomes-blogs/
  • Has anyone asked their surgeon about the life of the disks and if so what was the answer? I have a Prestige. Also, if it wears out, in 10 years, can i have an M-6 put in then?
    Thanks for any info......
  • i am also having to consider ADR scary stuff .i would want a surgeon with a bit more experience than only 5 procedures under his knife !!
    the man that should be doing me has 200 plus but he is in the uk so no good to you .i wish you well with what ever you went for and please keep me informed on how you are as i have just worked out that this is an oldish post
    STRAKER
    tony.beer1@googlemail.com
  • It's been 15 months since my ADR surgery in Germany. The Doc must have a crystal ball. Right after surgery I had residual numbness in my right point finger and thumb. The Doc said it could take up to a year for that to go away. The doctor is right the numbness has dissapated. Although when ever I overdue it (Like playing tackle fb) my finger starts to numb up, kind of like a little warning device. So I go play flag instead and the numbness dissapates again. Hm old school tech or new and improved :?
  • JKDE302 said:
    ^Adrsupport is a good website, I started going on that site because I read so many ACDF horror stories on spinehealth that i became paranoid...

ISpine is also good for alot of info on the Pro-disc

http://www.ispine.org/forum/surgical-outcomes-blogs/
    I think the reason you may notice so many "horror" stories on S.H. may be because many ACDF patients have no problem after their surgeries and find they dont need the support as much as before so they move on with their life. Some do have lasting problems and need continued support. i believe this to be true with any surgery outcomes .(my opinion)
  • Turbodog thats amazing you can play tackle football 15 months after getting 2 M6 disc in your neck...

At this point I would be happy to just get out of pain...
  • What is your decision on Prodisc vs Prestige. I have to get the same procedure and have been looking for help.

Thanks
advertisement