Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone on here who has failed to fuse with there own bone graft?

hope4leohhope4leo Posts: 200
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just was wondering if anyone here has not fused when having used your own bone graft for your fusion surgery. I wonder what the stats are for non fusion for cadaver bone and own bone?? My NS used cadaver bone for my fusion and my 3 week xray show fusion already starting to work on one of the two disc space.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you so much!~

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hi S-

I had bone from my vertabrae that they removed from my neck ground up and put in a cage, that was in August of '07. It took a while but it fused well with no problems, at least that I am aware of. Sounds like you are doing well showing fusion already within 3 weeks. Good luck to you and take care!
  • I had a lumbar fusion with ground up bone from my own lamina and BMP and more than 2 years later I am only partially fused and will not fuse any more.

I understand that the medical community is swinging back to thinking that the patient's own hipbone is the best graft material, even though many fuse very well with cadaver bone. Don't have time to look for the journal article links right now, but that's what I have read, though I am not an orthopaedic surgeon.

It is very nice to hear some progress, and I hope you continue to fuse successfully!
  • I had my own bones (removed during laminectomies and foremenectomies) mixed with cadaver bone. By 3 months I had partial fusion and by 5 months I was well fused, although the OS said that fusion can continue up to a year or so.