Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still very painful back. When do you think I can go back to work?

xMARxxMAR Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi, this site is new to me so please bear with me. I am a 50 year old male who has a job that involves maybe 4 hours sitting and 4 hours walking, bending, reaching, but no lifting. I had a 4 level anterior/posterior lumbar fusion l2-s1 on September 8th. I haven't started any rehab yet, but had some in home rehab on exercises to do. Walking for me goes well. Slow and pain in my right hip area. The incisions are doing well. My lower back is still very sore after sitting. This is the only op on my back and my surgeon didn't say anything except this is a big surgery and expect a long healing process. Anyone else with this and do you have any idea about returning to work. I don't watch Soaps, and my wife has our only vehicle to go to work. Not much excitement here. I'd appreciate any advise. Oh, during the surgery I had a blood vessel cut and spent 4 days in ICU with 8 units of blood transfusions. I get cold and shivers all the time. Never had this before. Thanks

• Sorry for you issue with being in ICU- that was Im sure scary for your family. I had a 2 level fusion and Im told that I could possibly go back to work in 2-3 months. I have lots of leg pain, hip pain and foot pain. Sitting makes it worse and I have an office position and 90% of my work is on the computer. I am just about 1 month post op and am NOT ready to go back to work, although we could use the income especially with the holidays but I would rather be safe the sorry.
    I start PT as soon as the insurance gives the clear on the order from my NS.
    Did your surgeon not tell you when you will able to go back to work? It would think with 4 levels- it would be awhile before you would be release but maybe not- Keep us posted okay!
    Best wishes and good luck with your recovery!!~
  • Thanks so much for the response. How do you feel walking? Is is mainly the sitting that causes your leg pain. I know if I sit for longer than 10 -20 minutes my hip starts to ache also. I thought rehab would have started already for both of us. I went to a back surgeon that I researched on for quite some time. He only said before surgery that It is going to be a tough road. Nothing was said about returnig to work dates. I know the feeling with the shallow pockets being out of work. Short term disability just doesn't do it. Well, I'm walking (slow) about 1/2 mile twice a day and it makes things feel a lot better for a while. Keep in touch. Thanks, Kev
This discussion has been closed.