Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lump in my throat????

LumpyLLumpy Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Maybe this is a wierd question, but since you can't see me get embarrassed, I'll ask anyway :). Has anyone with a cervical spine issue felt like there was a lump in their throat each time he/she swallowed Before surgery? If so, any idea why?

• I don't know if this even applies, but I did and found out it was muscle spasm caused by the settings on my SCS at the time. Reprogrammed it and the problem went away. I wonder if it is possible that your cervical problems are causing muscle spasms in your throat? This is just a guess on my part, so please don't take it as a medical diagnosis.

• Thanks C. No, I don't expect a diagnosis on this one. It is more of a curiousity. I told the NS about it. He didn't seem to be interested. He said it was possibly due to inflamation, or even herniated disk. It made me think that if either were the case, others here would have had the same issue. It is not painful, just irritating. It doesn't act like a muscle spasm to me, but maybe so.
  • I had the same exact issue after surgery, but not before. Mine felt like a lump, but also kind of "clicked" when I swallowed. It wasn't all the time, and if I changed position, it would stop.

I asked my NS about it... apparently it's the cartilage on your thyroid. During surgery it gets bounced around a bit and will swell or shift. The lump-feeling gradually goes away as the thyroid repositions. I had surgery 3/24/09 ... and I still get the clicking/lump feeling about x3 per month. But it's much, much better. I used to get it everyday for the first 4 months.

My NS said some folks have it up to one year... in those cases he advises to let him go in and shave the cartilage down a bit.

But your problem was before surgery... so I don't know if it's the same problem... although it's always possible that you've damaged the thyroid somehow.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Just a thought but do you think it could be from GERD or acid reflux? Do you suffer from heartburn very often? Do you have the lump feeling more later in the day? The reason I ask is that I have the lump in throat feeling and it's caused by acid reflux. I had an endoscopy 4 or 5 years ago and had an esophageal stricture. After they stretched it I didn't have that feeling anymore until just recently. They say sometimes you have to have it done two or three times. Just a thought. I may be way off. Hope you figure it out. I know how aggravating it is.