Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Your hospital experience, pre and post surgeries.......

VerminatorVVerminator Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
How did it all work out......I saw a great video on YouTube by a young gal. That helped alot.
So, questions like:

How long in hospital?
hate to ask but....Catheter or none?
How long after surgery did you get up to walk?
How was the pain from an Autograft, if you had one?

just for starters...
BTW, I have had back surgery in the past on L2-3.
Never Cervical, so I am sure it must be different.

• I was at the hospital at 6am, surgery at 7am, surgery over at 11:30am, walked about 9pm and to the bathroom what seemed like hundreds of times throughout the night (with nurse's help only due to all the tubes and stuff). I was released from the hospital at noon the next day after I proved I could walk around the floor. (I was very dizzy and didn't want to walk, but I was determined to go home so I hid it from the nurse and PT peeps.)

I didn't have a catheter when I woke up in my room.

I didn't have an autograft.

Something that most people don't mention for some reason, is the pump thingys they put on your calves and feet. It pumps air then releases and continues until you leave the hospital. This is to prevent blood clots. For me, personally, I wanted to take mine home, it felt so good.

How many levels are you having done? When's the surgery? Will you have a hard collar?

• Anyone have any comments about lumbar joint replacement, especially Prodisc?
  • Hi Scott,

I hope your surgery goes well and you have a fast recovery. I was in the hospital for three nights, C4-6 with plate and 8 screws and yes I had a cath for a day and half, I was walking by the 2nd day in afternoon. The firs night was the worse due to the fact I didn't ask if I could sleep on my side(which I do) so I slept on my back and had a bad night, turned out the nurse said sleeping on my side was fine.

• I remember waking up on my back after BACK surgery....what in the world?? I slid to my at a slight angle. If it were not for the Morphine I would not have slept much.....I am mostly a stomach sleeper, well at least to start off with.....I will have to learn another way now...
  • Scott
    I had cervical surgery twice and they were both so very different,
    The first surgery at a community hospital with an older NS.
    I was in ICU for 2 days.I had an autograft which was more painful than the cervical fusion.I had a catheter and was up the next am with a morphine pump.Went home with a hard collar for 6 weeks and a walker to help me walk.
    The second surgery was at a University with a young NS who used a artificial plug with bone marrow around it for fusion. I woke up with no catheter and no collar. I went home the next day with no collar.
    It was amazing to me how different each ACDF was at the two different hospitals
    for the same procedure but at different levels.
    I was scared to death preop,but thankfully it was much easier then i thought it would be.
    Good Luck and best wishes for a quick recovery.