Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PT Neck Traction?

LumpyLLumpy Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My NS asked me if my PT included "traction". It doesn't but he seemed to think it would help. Anyone had this? What is involved? I invision hanging by my neck sans noose ;)

• http://www.ehow.com/facts_5005716_what-neck-traction.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art Over-the-door traction is a popular form of home traction. The patient puts a type of harness onto his neck. The other end of the harness hangs over the door and holds weights or water bags. The weights gradually stretch the neck.
  • I am curious about traction as well. My Neurologist suggested it because of increased pain I have been having the past few months. I have had two separate fusions and when I told my Physical therapist about this he was shocked.He said you can't apply traction to a fused neck. Who is right??? Bethy
  • I was given a traction device to use at home......traction at the PT office and at home has not done anything for me.
    The unit that I have is one that you lay on the floor and place your head in a vice-like thingy, then use a pump to decompress. It just pulls your head back a bit. And you can use as much pressure as you want.
    As I said it didnt work for me....but maybe you. Good Luck.
    I just checked...it is made by SAUNDERS.
  • My wife is a PT and I have done traction at her office and I also have a home traction unit like the last person that responded described.I think it depends on your condition and I don't know about after fusion surgery I would think it would depend on witch levels you have fused but for me I love it and can't get though the day without it.I have DDD wit disk bulge in c3-4,5-6.6-7.I have not got surgery yet but I use my home traction 1-4 times a day for about 15-20 min.The pain relief is great but temporary sometimes the pain comes back in a hour sometimes a hole day of relief from one sesion.The traction can stretch the neck just enough to relive pain from pinched nerves.But like I said the relief is generally temporary but I will take any relief I can get.I am not sure how it would help with someone with the fusion already done.By the way if you do decide to try it and if the one at the PT ofice helps then I would invest on one for your home so you can do it when ever you need it instead of just at the PT ofice.My wife who is a PT said the good home unit's are just as good as the ones at the PT ofice.Saunders is the main maker but I have one called star traction witch is almost the same.I would definitely check with your NS again if your pt is not for it.Hope it helps.
  • I used traction before surgery and it got me through years of pain. Without it I would have had to do my surgery much earlier.

I've used the door mount and the Saunders.

I was told now that I'm fused I will not be able to use traction by my PT and my doctor. They made me stop just before my surgery because I had developed a slip on my vertebrae so they didn't want to cause it to be unstable.
  • Thanks for all the info, guys. I go to my primary today. Since it is a WC injury, I seem to have a differant doctor to approve everything. I'll ask him about it. Even the daily relief would be welcome. Nightly would be especially welcome.

I haven't had any surgery, so I guess I should enjoy it while I can.
  • I tried traction for herniated disk and didn't find any relief. THe home unit that the PT was trying to sell was a joke. It moved instead of stretching me. THe PT tried it and agreed...but they were still trying to sell it the next week. Guess money is more important than results.

Some love traction so give it a try. Also get the facts on your workers comp approval process. Usually they assign a nurse at the insurance office to monitor your case. They should tell you exactly what needs approval and what doesn't (get it in writing). I got their fax number so I could do things that way also. In my experience you can go to any doctor you want who accepts your WC insurance. Only time I had to go to their doc was for a review to see if they felt continued treatment was necessary. So get the facts so that you get the best and quickest care. I also found that when I told them I wanted my husband back to work as fast as possible they worked with me even more - lol.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    is just one of the many conservative treatments that can be used to help you.
    I've used traction for Lumbar, Thoracic and Cervical issues. At home, I used the over the door 'hanging' unit with a bag of water for weight. At many of the different Physical therapy centers, I had traction done on all areas.
    The basis is that traction can help in 'stretching' your spine, your discs and therebye reducing some of the pain associated with many spinal problems.
    But keep one thing in mind, never use cervical traction after you had cervical surgery with fusion.
    Bottom line, traction can be helpful, as long as it done under a physicians instructions

The DRX9000 machine really is not much more than a traction machine. And as such has provided relief for many paients
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com