Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WHY, please tell me WHY

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
When a member is banned from Spine-Health, it is not a trivial matter. A lot goes into making that final decision and it is always for the good of Spine-Health.

Then someone, please explain to me why so many of these banned members come back under different names and email addresses only to cause more problems.

When a person is banned, it is because of their own actions, not situations they got themselves into. So they make an effort to get back onto Spine-Health WHY? Someone please explain to me why
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Perhaps it is because they feel they were unfairly banned...or they miss their friends...or they realize that Spine-Health Forum is the BEST and they miss being a part of it and regret their stupid behavior.

What do you think?

xx Gwennie
  • Obviously these people have too much time on their hands or need some counseling to deal with their anger or their other psychiatric issues. If their pleasure comes from tormenting others then it's not something anyone can fix except the mod team doing their job to keep them off and the rest of the member community can stop adding to the threads. The more members post in the "Oh I really liked so and so" threads, the more it bumps the thread up and feeds these troubled characters. Yeah, I'm posting in a thread and it bumps it up, but I haven't seen anyone add recently to cut out posting after the mods give the info. I know this topic was brought up some time ago, maybe on one of the previous SH sites and I thought it needed mentioning again.

Just my opinion of course.
  • but I don't know. I think they realize they may have made a big mistake and trying to get back somehow? Very sad when they don't heed the warnings. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You sound so discouraged and frustrated, so I'm sending you a big but gentle hug and an encouraging word. You do such a great service to this site and it's members, it's such a shame that some members do such a disservice to you and the site. We do appreciate your hard work and diligence, although maybe some more than others. However, I'm sure the number of people who do appreciate the work you and the rest of your team volunteer to do, far outweighs the number of people who don't.
    As to your question why, I think that some people just like seeing their name on something, and are just seeking attention. Some people feed off of the drama and controversy. Some people need to make others feel miserable, in order to make themselves feel better. And then there are those who have realized the error of their ways, and want to be a part of the community again.
    Maybe when you and the team decide to ban someone, make a post to explain the reason why, like Paul did, and then lock it, like you did in another. Then there's no room for undesired comments.
    As to banned members coming back under aliases, well, nobody can stop them from doing that, but you and the team, with your much appreciated diligence in protecting the site, please continue on with protecting our wonderful community from their (bs). And again, thank you for all of your hard work.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I can't get inside somebody else's head but maybe there's an element of trying to circumvent the process--trying to "break in" so to speak. It might be a challenge, or maybe revenge, who knows. One person mentioned the banned members may want to read what is being said about them. As I write this, the stats show 17 users online and 1298 guests. I surmise that at least a percentage of those guests are reading posts here in the forum, so I ssume there's no need to actually register again in order to read posts--only to post.

Sorry this is stressing you, PapaRon. Hopefully, it won't last for long. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • If you can find the answer to that question Ron you shall surely be a rich man.

You could package that knowledge and get an info commercial going and hit it big!

People are wonderful and weird. I've worked with the public most of my life and it's been a bitter sweet experience. It takes thick skin to do what you're doing.

This forum is fantastic and helps many people (me included) so thank you for going thru the agony of keeping it as controlled as possible.

Good that you vent and get out the frustration. I'm fairly new to the forum but from what I can see you are surrounded by folks who appreciate you and want to be there for you when you need it.

There are always weeds in the garden.
  • There are no short answers to this, IMHO.
  • Ron.
    I have been on here for over a year.. Their has been people that have been banned for Many different reasons...
    Some that have been banned do and are back on S.H. with different name.
    I have seen it happen.... and they are good spine people in my eyes.. they just stay away from a few people and.. go on their way helping and getting help.

The only answer I can think of for your question to why is SUPPORT......
    Just my opinions and experiences..
    smiles for miles to all....Patsy P

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    If people regretted their action and really wanted to come back for support and give support, they would make sure they acted in a way that would be as hard as possible to detect. There is no need to check someone who is contributing to the site in a good way. It seems in my opinion from what I have seen from one banned member, leaving clues to his identitity is part of the game. Then continue in the same way.
    It isn't too hard to pick up on a style of posting or chatting, just takes a while to be sure.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Kelly mentioned that PapaRon sounds discouraged and frustrated and I'd just like to comment on that point here.

Most members realize that administrators, moderators and authority members don't take banning lightly, nor banned members reregistering under another name and trying to put that past the team to return to Spine-Health.

What most members may not realize, and I didn't until I became an authority member, is how much behind-the-scenes work there is. Unfortunately during times like the past few months, the majority of our time is spent in discussions with problem members, meeting with the team to discuss difficult situations, trying to figure out where the root of the problems lie, and other background actions that are too involved to write here. This not only involves the forums, but chat as well.

The leadership team has always felt that their primary role at Spine-Health is to help the members, whether it's support, guidance or information. We realize that there are certainly other roles that we must fill to keep Spine-Health the wonderful site it is and gladly take on those tasks as well.

When just one member joins and becomes a problem, it inevitably takes up time we should spend helping members and doing our routine tasks. That's frustrating, but we also know that's part of the job. A few minutes for each of us here and there, no problem.

Now, imagine that you have three or four problem members, multiple hostile posts that result in warfare among members, accusations flying around the site via PMs, problem members being warned then being banned, and member posts accusing the team of summarily and indescriminately banning their friends, you bet we get discouraged and frustrated. You might be amazed at how much time dealing with all of this takes.

Additionally, all of the team members are humans, spineys and pain sufferers like you who also have to deal with our own personal, physical, emotional and family issues. Like I said, we have gladly taken on these multiple roles because we love and believe in Spine-Health. But it's extremely frustrating, discouraging and disappointing that we have to deal with people who are hell-bent on causing problems on Spine-Health only to be told by the members we're protecting that we acted in haste and didn't give that member a fair shake. Nothing could be further from the truth.

At the end of the day, every single leadership team member can honestly say that they've done their job well, have done it fairly and without favoratism or malice. We take pride in being able to say that, no matter how disconcerting the actions were that had to be taken.

I realize that this is off-topic but I really felt that I needed to say this - not to defend the team but hopefully to help members understand where the administrators, moderators and authority members are coming from and what our roles here encompass.

• your IP address follows you so theres no point trying to get back on a site that you are banned from ,even with a different name and email ..you can run but you IP carnt hide ...you!!
  • I haven't been a member for that long, so realise how quickly you come to depend on this site when you're in pain et seq..

I wonder whether it would be feasible to ban the member for a set period, then allow them back whilst monitoring them closely. This would give them time to realise how much they valued being part of this community. Once they returned, if they continued to ruffle feathers, then could they receive a permanent ban.

A 'time-out' would also discourage them from attempting to return under an assumed name, which requires misplaced time and energy.

PS Apologies if this has already been tried and it failed miserably!
  • Val. Is this something that has been done in the past? I mean what somes them from being come a member on a different IP number?

I am not computer savvy so I am clueless when it comes to stuff like that.

• I believe(tho my memory sometimes fails me) that one member was given warnings and a short suspension(something like a month???) but that member broke the suspension and came back and still continues to create fake screen names to stir up trouble.

Edit by ERNurse to add info: Good question Val, I think this shows to what extent the mod team goes to try and avoid banning and how carefully they consider things.
  • We did consider time-outs or suspensions for the naughty and mischievous members; but then, could you really trust that member again? If a member felt slighted, who's to say that member won't do what's necessary to get in the good graces of the powers that be, then are allowed to come back and after a period of time, poison the site because all the negativity comes back to said member?

I don't know. If it were just me to worry about, I'd consider. But this site and the membership is way bigger than I and I just don't know if I am willing to take that kind of chance.
  • I'm not one to know alot about computers but I know many house holds that have several different I.P. addresses.
    So saying you can run but not hide is not so true, as far as I know.(my opinion or maybe its my experience)(I'm not sure)
    smiles for miles.... Patsy P. aka Ladybug
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    Patsy, I like that line...
    Many times I have had to use that mindset during my 34+ years with IBM.
    The novice computer user would be amazed and startled at just how much can be captured every time you log onto your computer, at work or at home.
    Even the experienced computer user would shake their head from time to time to see how we were able to track and record information.
    The Internet is probably safer then driving 75 mph down a freeway, and for most people it is.
    With the right tools, driving 175mph is safer then creating problems on the Internet
    This has been discussed many times. The Time out on this site is you have not R/W access, you can look at some forum posts, but thats it
    We could go forward with something like that, but the problem is that anytime we have a member who has been warned multiple times and ready to be banned, they dont want time out, they want everything. And trust me, they are not going to get that.

If only once a banned member would come back and attempt to really say their were sorry for their actions, tust me, our team would listen to that and probably re-instate them. That doesnt happen, instead we get threatening messages and emails to our homes and I have even been phoned at home one time.

Its real simple
    The good rise to the occasion and see what has happened
    The bad will sink as low as they can go
    an avenue of debate.. Good , Bad or Indifferent

Hence, I am shutting down this thread