Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to Neck Pain

AmandaCNAAmandaCN Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Here is my story:

I have problems with my lumbar spine which have finally led to future surgery, which I will be finding out more about in the next couple of weeks. Anyway, several months ago, the day after I had my last lumbar ESI, I started having numbness in my pinky and ring finger with some pain in my forearm. By the next day I also had pain in the base of my neck. I was a bit worried and called the doctor but they said it could not be related to the injection. Over the next few weeks it came and went, even getting worse. The pain in my neck could be awful and the numbness in my hand was almost constant. The vicodin I take for my lumbar issues didn't even touch it - the only relief I could get was through applying ice to the area (and that only worked for a short while). After 6 weeks or so, with the use of special neck pillows at night and ice during the day, I was able to return back to normal.

For the past 2-3 months I have had almost no pain. There has still been occasional numbness in the hand and and some very minor pain at the base of the neck but it's nowhere near as bad as it was. I had started to assume that I had just pinched a nerve (my physiatrist had suggested that) and it was all better.

So, last night the pain returned. I was lifting a slightly heavy/awkward object at work and I felt the pain return. I also experienced weakness in my hands/forearms for a couple of minutes. It was an effort to grip anything. The weakness mostly went away but the pain in my neck was horrible. I made a makeshift ice pack and walked around with it under my collar most of the night. After sleeping in my recliner with a neck pillow it is much better but the pain is still there.

Has anyone had any similar problems? I am going to try and make an appointment with my PC doctor tomorrow to see if he can recommend something. I belong to another board but it is mostly for people with lumbar issues and they really could not help me. Because I work in a very physical job and already have lower back problems, I have had to rely on my arms a lot.

• Hi Amanda,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around here and you will find so many useful articles as well as post. Keep in mind we are not doctors. What you are describing sounds like referred pain. However, without your doctor running some test and doing a clinical exam it is kind of hard for anyone of us to diagnose. I think your headed down the right path by contacting your primary care doctor. You may want to check out the video section and look at the cervical radiculopathy video and see if that is your pain patter. Anyway, just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Let us know what the doctor says.
  • Tamtam gave some great advice of looking at the video section for radiculopathy. She has 5 neck surgeries under her belt, so she knows a bit about the cervical spine.

I'm concerned that the symptoms increased when you lifted something. Being as you work in a physical job, you need to get this checked out so that you aren't putting yourself at risk. It is good news that the symptoms subsided for a while, but the numbness and weakness you described sounds like something you definitely want to get checked out. Also, if you continue having neck pain while working, try those therawrap heat packs while you are working. I worse one quite regularly the last while before my surgery, and it is the only thing that helped me through my workday. Also, when you have breaks, maybe it would be helpful for you to lay down or at least recline back giving your head/neck support for a few minutes.

Please let us know what the doctor says. I wish you well!

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Your symptoms certainly describe the typical scenario for neck problems. Let us know how you make out at the doctor's.

Best wishes to you,