Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discography felt like an electrocution on my disc/nervous sytem!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in New Member Introductions
I am new to the website and I have a long story about what happened. I will keep it short as possible. I was working in a kitchen for 8 months. After 8 months of doing dishes/leaning over I slipped a disc during a soccer game.I was 23 years old at the time. This was in September 2001. I didn't know I slipped a disc. I felt it but did not know what it was and paid no attention. I continued working in the kitchen and playing soccer that week. 1 week later during another soccer game the disc slipped again and it hurt more this time. I remember getting out of the car after the game and my left leg being numb, I almost fell over. Again, I did not know it was a slipped disc. I thought it was something minor and would go away. I still worked in the kitchen leaning over in pain doing dishes every day for hours. It got so bad I had to stop playing soccer but I was still working in the kitchen until December when I went back home for a 2 week vacation. I was home for two weeks relaxing and even played a little soccer after a 10 days. I went back to work in the dreaded kitchen. My second day back I felt a snap. I broke a pedicle in my back. This was in January 2003. Anyway long story short, I have been in pain and I feel like I am 65 years or older. Since I broke the pedicle in my back things have started happening to my body. My hair started falling out, my vision became blurry, I now wear glasses after having perfect 20/20 vision before the injury. There are many other things that have happened as well but I don't want to scare anybody. I first saw a doctor after the broken pedicle and they saw a slipped disc and I started doing physical therapy but all of it just hurt more. The doctors said they could not see a reason for the pain etc... I thought, oh its back pain and this is what people have. My soccer career is over and I'll just deal with it. I guess I'll just live with it. I did try to exercise and did a few times throughout the years but now its like I just want to lay in bed and not move. I went to a German Doctor in 2007 and asked if he could help. After my 4th or 5th MRI he decided to do a discography, on the L4-L5 and L5-S1 disc. The L4-L5 disc stung just a little bit, not much. When the L5-S1 disc was injected with the iodine I imagine that's what an electrocution feels like. It was by far the most intense pain I have ever felt in my life. It sent shock waves of pain through my nervous system but the pain was centralized to the disc.
Does this mean the disc is just totally damaged beyond all repair?
The doctor thought an IDET might help so he did that but it brought no relief what so ever. The IDET was done in 2007.
I have not had surgery because the doctor who has his own back clinic in Germany gave me three options and didn't seem like he knew which one to do. What was I supposed to do throw a dart and which ever one of the three was hit, choose that one? I have seen many doctors and I am ready for a some type of surgery now. According to the discography I think that I would need a disc replacement right?
This was one of the options he gave me.
Thank you

• Hi there Brent,

I just read your post and wasn't going to reply, because I'm not personally familiar with 'discography'.

As far as I'm aware, it's a non-invasive technique designed to identify a painful disc, so I imagine you're right and that the test was highly successful as indicated by the level of pain it produced (sorry).

As for needing a replacement disc, I'm sure someone else will be able to advise you better than I can.

Bye, Val
  • Hi Brent, welcome to SH. Great people here, tons of support. It seems with back issues, there are never any clear cut answers, which just makes it scarier. It may seem obvious, but check out the blogs on SH and do as much online research as you can about your symptoms and possible options. Information is your best tool. Have your questions written down & really press about the benefits and possible down-sides of any procedure they suggest to help you make your decision.
    We're here for you anytime. Spiney stick together! Take it easy and hope you can find the right answers soon. Annie
  • You said that you have seen many docs. Do they all agree that an ADR will help? My rule of thumb is usually to get at least 3 opinions. If they all agree than I feel more comfortable moving forward. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I too had a discography done to show dr. that L4-L5 disc was the cause of my pain. I had the same result as you did. I literally wanted to come off of the table. I went on to have a lumbar fusion and had rods put into my back to relieve my pain. So the good news is that you have definitely pinpointed the cause of your pain. The bad news is that the discogram is NOTHING compared to the surgery. I don't mean to scare you, but I wished that I had known about the amount of pain that the surgery would cause. The recovery time took a year. I don't regret having surgery, because it did help, for 4 years. I just wanted to give you some idea of what to expect, if you do decide to have surgery. I guess it all depends on how much pain you are in. Best of luck, no matter what you decide to do. P.S. I was only 33 years old when I had my surgery. Too young to have this bad of a back. I did not have an injury, my back just "went out" one day and never got better. I'm told that I have degenerative disk disease. I had another disk rupture recently and will have my second surgery on October 22nd. If you have any questions or concerns I will answer honestly. I believe that someone has to have gone thru this kind of pain in order to understand how it really feels.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. glad you stopped by. :D there is lots of info on the technique offered in the forum, so have a look. please make yourself at home. good luck with pain relief! Jenny :)
  • my doctor is going to have me get a discogram &
    , does anyone know about or have had them, I would like to have any imput, such as how much pain to expect, how long it took to recover?
  • brenda cannon said:
    my doctor is going to have me get a discogram &
    , does anyone know about or have had them, I would like to have any imput, such as how much pain to expect, how long it took to recover?
    Hi Brenda,

I had a discogram a couple weeks ago. I had a 3 level. The Doc inserts needles into each disc from the side. You feel a sharp sensation when he penetrates the disc. The dye injection is next. It is blind, meaning he will not tell you which disc he is injecting when. With me, the first two I did not feel, when he hit L5-S1 it felt like a hot, electrified bar was place across my lower back, pain, searing pain went to my hip and right leg. I have had many, many procedures done and this by far, was the worst. Ask them for 2mg of Ativan about 45 mins prior to the test, doesn't help the pain but does ease the memory. The pain is nescesary to identify the pain site. This is usually done just prior to fusion surgery. Some Docs use it to rule out surgery, but most will not put you through the agony unless they plan to do something about it.