Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

psoas muscle

janeellenjjaneellen Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Lower Back Pain
Was living with a "successful" fusion and was trying to pickup my activity level.Started having back spasms,which changed my posture{you all know what I am talking about}.The continued postural changes resulted in more pain and trips to various doctors and therapists.After a clear MRI, the EMG shows S1 nerve root compression.Do any of you have experience with neuromuscular massage and the psoas muscle.The medical community wants to proceed with shots,myelogram etc.It is curious that no one would expect muscle spasms to be the origin and try a non-invasive technique.Any knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated,as I do not want to go through with shots and invasive testing.I have been seen by every western health care professional and have the routine arsenal of medications-I know there is a better way for some.

• you cant try deep tissue massage. It may be the answer.
  • What you want to do is possible but it is difficult to find just the right person that can help you. You need to find people that have an orthopedic practice, or lots of knowledge about the back and spine.

I go to a guy that I call my "rearranger" that would be perfect for you. He has degrees in acupuncture, Chinese medicine, and massage therapy and he has invented a treatment that basically gets the patient back into alignment. He does acupuncture to warm up the muscles, etc. and then he uses body work to get my back in plumb, so my pelvis is not rotating, so one hip isn't higher than the other, etc. He primarily works with back patients post-surgery, but now a couple docs are beginning to send some of their patients to him pre-surgery. After the surgeons gave up on me, this guy has been helping me pursue the cause of my continuing radiculopathy.

I'm sorry I don't have more information to give you. I am leaving on a trip in a couple hours and need to pack...but I'll be back Sunday night and will check back to see if you got more info from someone.

You can do what you are describing -- you just won't get any support from spinal surgeons because they don't deal with soft tissue. An ortho physiatrist might be able to recommend someone. Or call a rehab hospital and see if they know someone who works on spinal rehab cases. That's all I can think of off the top of my head in a hurry.

Good luck.

• I've had months of therapeutic scar tissue massage. I know some physical therapists do a combination of manual and instrument massage for this, but my center has a technique they've developed that is only manual. I prefer to have someone hands on doing this than them having metal tong things where they cannot feel how I'm reacting.

It hurts at first, kind of bad. What they are doing is working on breaking down the superficial scar tissue and freeing up the muscle fascia so that it releases the tightness. They do use this on trigger points, too. I even invited my nurse case manager to watch a session and she could clearly see the difference in areas he had worked on versus ones he had not. The skin moves so much more freely. Once an area is better, I would tell him his massage wasn't hurting anymore, so then he would move on to another area. It feels kind of like a tearing feeling at first.

I know you are looking at non-invasive techniques, but vivavegas, another member, has been researching surgical psoas muscle release. She started a thread on it, can't remember where right now, and I think said she had an appointment on Oct 8th(waiting for update.) I know she said she had been looking at research from Italian doctors' studies on the psoas muscle.

Good luck to you. If you find any other information, please share with us.
This discussion has been closed.