Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi to all

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in New Member Introductions
I was in a MVA on Dec24,2008 that has made my life hell. I am a proud father of 3 growing boys who need me. I have been in pain since the night of the accident. I am hoping I can find some help on these boards. I have been going to PT since Feb, and to a Chiropractor weekly since Dec 28. I still have a lot of mid back pain and pain going down both of my legs into my calves and ankles and even sometimes my toes along with numbness in my saddle area. I went to a neurosurgeon who said he could do a L4 and L5 bi-lateral forminatomy which would help my leg pains. I also went to a orthepedic surgeon who wanted to inject cortisone into any area I said I had pain. He also didn't see the same problem the neurosurgeon saw on my MRI around L4 and L5. I am not a believer of steroid injections and want long term relief without injections. What is next next step for me. I need help!

• Welcome to Spine Health.

I have to say, nerve pain(which I'm making an assumption is your leg pain problem) is really nothing to mess with. If you wait too long, it has the possibility of becoming permanent. Personally, I'm not too much of a fan of chiropractic manipulations if you have nerve pain.

You seem to have the right attitude as to looking for a long term solution, getting multiple opinions, and looking for support. This site is the best as far as support and hearing others' stories, it can give you a lot of ideas to ask your doctor about.

You might not be a fan of steroids, but many insurance companies require epidural steroid injections(usually 3) before they will approve surgery. Is your ortho a board certified spine surgeon? You might need surgery, but he might be following the standard of care to try the steroids first. Sounds like you've done the other things-physical therapy and time. Besides the insurance issue, I think a lot of folks would always wonder what if? if they didn't do steroids before considering surgery. I'm not trying to force that on you, just trying to explain where he might be coming from. Can you explain why you are not a fan? Are you diabetic?

What does your MRI report say?

Just in my opinion, I think your attitude is something that will help you. Like I said, I think you are very smart in seeking multiple opinions and also reaching for support from other patients. Please keep us updated, I look forward to hearing more about your story and hope for a positive outcome!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome to SH.
    There's nothing I can add to what ernurse already said. I agree that it sounds like you have the right attitude.
    I hope you can find a solution or treatment that works and get back to enjoying your kids soon.
    Again welcome and hope you like it here.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I think ernurse nailed it! there is nothing I could add.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hi Carl,

You say you're not a fan of steroids, but they are the next step, as any decent neurosurgeon would want to exhaust all non-invasive, conservative measures before launching into surgery.

The surgeon uses a 6" fine needle (almost hair-like) so that the steroid can be delivered right down to the actual nerve root or localised to the facet joint, meaning minimal amounts of steroid would enter your bloodstream.

If you have any concerns, ask your doctor.

Bye, Val

PS I just re-read your post and saw you said you have numbness in your saddle area. If you have problems with excretion too, you might want to check out the site below and tell your doctor as soon as possible.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you might think of getting the opinion of a good pm. :? they offer other options besides injections..there may be medications which may be of benefit to you besides pt. please get some other opinions and then do what seems to be best for you.. good luck and please keep us informed. :D Jenny :)