Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member with ACDF Surgery Tomorrow

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey Everyone. I wish I would have found this about 2 months ago. I am 25 and am having a acdf surgery tomorrow. I guess my only worry is how am I going to be able to take care of my beautiful 3 month old daughter since I have no family or friends in the area, and none to come help. I'm sure this will be fun. Everyone keeps on asking me if I am nervous, and oblivously I am. I can't feel most of my right hand, and the left is numb. I can't walk normal because of the numbness in my right leg, and the weakness is a wonderful feeling. I know I might never 100% recover from this, but who knows. I've noticed recently that I keep on having these waves of pain move through my neck into my head, and I've stopped looking down to avoid the pain.
I was told that part of the back labor I had made a small problem into a big one, since I had no noticed problems before my daughter was born. I guess I shouldn't have been shopping on black friday last year, since that's when I got in a car accident. I knew it was to good to be true, when I didn't have any damage(she hit me in the bumper at a shopping mall). I guess I should say thankyou to everyone on here, because I feel no alone. You've given me hope that maybe, just maybe I can get back to normal soon.

• Hi tnv mommy. What levels are you having done?

I'm concerned that you're not only going to be alone to take care of the baby but to take care of yourself as well. This surgery is considered major surgery and, I'm sorry if I'm scaring you, it's going to be very rough not to have help, at least the first week. You said that everyone keeps asking you if you're scared (duh, of course) - are any of those that you mention able to come and help you out?

There are bending, lifting and twisting restrictions for at least four weeks after surgery so I'm concerned how you're going to lift and carry your baby. If you aren't scheduled to wear a hard collar, I think in your position I'd wear one anyway considering the situation. It's not going to do anybody any good if you reinjure yourself so soon into recovery.

Anyway, I'm sorry...I really should have welcomed you before laying all that out. So welcome to Spine-Health and I also wish you'd found us sooner.

Good luck with your surgery and please let us know how it goes.

• Thanks for the concern Cath111. I'm having the surgery on my c-5 c-6. And no, none of those concerned people can come take care of us.
    I too am concerned about my daughter. I've asked my insurnace about a nurse, and they told me to ask the doctor. After asking the doctor, I was told the hospital makes the desecion.Nothing like waiting till the last minute!
    My husband is going to take the first few days off of work, but he works for ups, and can't take too many off. I tried to even to put the surgery off, but the issues became too much to deal with for a year. Makes me wish I was one of those people who still lived with their parents!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck with your surgery and all the best for a successful recovery... :D you will need some help when you first get home with the baby!!! all the best! :D Jenny :)
  • Wow you have quite a job ahead of you trying to care for a 3 month old while recovering. Hopefully the hospital will decide that you will need a nurse as I know that you will not be able to bend, lift or twist for awhile. Good luck with your recovery and please keep us posted with your recovery.
  • Hopefully you've talked to the Hospital Social Worker about coming home. Usually, if there is someone in the house that needs care and you're the caregiver, they can sometimes arrange for help to be there when you come home.

Good luck with your surgery and take care!
  • Best wishes for tomorrow for your surgery. I hope this surgery helps you keep up to the children. Well not right away anyway...I agree with Clandy please speak to a Social Worker to help you prepare at home. Before becoming an RN I used to be a Visiting Homemaker / Companion to help people in their homes with light cleaning and food prep and shopping when they were recovering from surgery or getting treatments. I hope you can get some family or friends to stay with you a short time while recovering. Take care and let us know how you're doing when you're able. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN