Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can someone please help me to understand my MRI results.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:37 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I have severe back pain and it hurts in my legs my shoulder and my neck, my doctor sent me for an MRI and I got the results back today. I have to go see a neurosurgeon next week but I don't quite understand what all of the results mean. Can someone please help me to understand.

Results are as follows:
MRI lumbar spine.

History: Low back pain.

Procedure: Multiplanar MR imaging of the lumbar spine was performed in multiple MR sequences.

Findings: The conus terminates at the L1-L-2 level and is grossly normal.. Disc Desciccation is noted at L5-S1. The height and alignment is normal.

At T11-T12, there is minimal disc bulge and facet arthrosis. The is no canal or foraminal narrowing.

At L3-L4, there is minimal disc bulge and facet arthrosis. There is no canal or foraminal narrowing.

L4-L5, there is mild diffuse disc bulge. Bowel facet arthrosis is noted. There is no disc protrusion or herniation. There is no canal narrowing. Mild Bilateral foraminal narrowing is noted.

At L5-S1, there is mild disc bulge with a small broad-based central disc protrusion and annular tear. This touches the descending left S1 nerve root just above the lateral recess. There is no central canal narrowing. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing is noted.

Impression: Multilevel degenerative disc diseasse as described above.

Please help I hope I got all of these words spelled correctly if not I must apologize. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I will be forever greatful for any help.
Thanks again.
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine-Health - you'll find a lot of people here that are understanding, friendly and helpful.

We aren't allowed or able to read MRI results as none of us are doctors and we'd really be doing you an injustice.

That being said, one thing to note is that there is the word "mild" and "minimal" used throughout your report. This is a very good thing. In most cases, a person who is suffering with mild issues in their spine can receive successful treatment with conservative measures. These can include many things such as injections and physical therapy.

However, it is ultimately up to your doctor to let you know the next step, so keep us posted.

Cath
  • Hi there,

If you're going to see the neurosurgeon next week, do you think it might be better to ask him to interpret your MRI for you? Even qualified radiologists disagree on the interpretation of MRIs!

Bye, Val
    PS Cath took the words out of my mouth ie 'mild' and 'minimal'!
  • Thanks for your comments Cath I appreciate it. And I wasn't on here asking anyone to interpret the results for me I am merely asking for some opinions and some help in understanding the results, as you probably know next week is a long wait for someone who is worried and doesn't understand. I know the only one who can give me the final results is the neurosurgeon. I also had 3 biopsies done yesterday and those results are not back yet. So all of this is just a waiting game for me. But thank you again for replying to me. :)