Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Strange couple of days

WramblerWWrambler Posts: 1,588
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Chronic Pain
I'm not intending to really sound like I am complaining with this. I am more confused about the symptoms than anything else.

Saturday and Sunday I spent 2-3 hours each day cleaning in my attic. Bad idea, but needed done, long story as to why I could not make my kid do it. I finished up Sunday and went out in the yard to gather some old tarps, the lightweight junky ones to bag and throw away. My back had already done some light spasms before the yard trip. Then, Of course, while out in the yard I slipped on a wet grassy slope and jarred my back pretty good. Still no pain, but I knew that was bad. ANY hard shock like that or lifting any more than 30-40 lbs is going to hurt me. I finished bagging the tarps, went in the house and took flexeril and surrendered to my recliner. Hoping that things would be ok.

Now, to the point of the post. Sunday I had a few spasms in the center of my back between my shoulder blades. Woke up Monday with my upper back shoulder to shoulder on fire, deep burning very strong pain. I fought it all day with Flexeril, Valium and the SCS turned up down and sideways! Went home at 5:00 and just took an Ambien and passed out. I figured sleep was better than the burning pain. What has me perplexed is Tuesday the pain had become vertical running up and down the entire right side of my back! not across like before, now it was from the pocket of my SCS to my right ear! All day, getting worse start to finish so I went home and did the Ambien thing again! I also noticed that the right outer side of my right leg is numb.

My pain is down to about norm today, still have the slightly increased numbness on my leg but no pain there. Riding/driving on the rough roads around here is just plain painful again now that it is cold, ugh.

I'm really perplexed by the symptoms? I am unsure how my body took what I did to it and transferred it into those pains and the way they varied?

Anyone have any ideas? very strange...I expected some discomfort after my activities, what I got is just plain weird. I guess it just validates the point that something is not wired right here. Yeah, I know, probably the part between my ears? :))(

• to see what type of response that you get as I always have things like this happen after any exertion. Sometimes my ankle will go out on me and sometimes I get the upper back pain too. The pain never really coincides with the muscles that I used or anything like that. I hope you feel better and will keep an eye on this post.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    Thoracic related problems. The burning/stabbing between shoulder blades is a common symptom of T1 to T4 disc problems.

But when you added the vertical pain, that sort of throw me.

Hopefully, this is just a flare up that has attacked many of your spinal weakness....
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Yikes - that sounds painful! Did you jar yourself hard enough to break the leads? I hope not. I bet your muscles are just all kinds of mad right now. Have you tried a warm bath, does hot shower water make it relax or feel better?

Back when I still tried to do things like lifting/bending or twisting, if I hurt myself it would be 3 days to a week before I would feel even slightly better. It wore me out!

I don't know how you work through this pain. Hang in there!

( (HUGS) )

• I have no answers for your burning pain but boy do I understand the pain spike this cold weather has brought on!!
    I have been in absolute AGONY since it has turned cold here!! My pain meds may as well be sugar pills for all the good they do now. I think I need to head south for the winter!!
    I do hope this new agony of yours eases up right away. I am sure someone on here can give you some clue to what is going on.
    Good luck
    Patsy W :H
  • No answers for you, at first I was thinking muscle related, I get the shoulder to shoulder burning, too, but the vertical, I have never experienced that. If you find the answer, please let us know, it may help someone else. Hope you feel better!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • The change is why I posted. It was very "weird"...
    Today it is raining, so that is attacking to.

If it wasn't for,
    My Wife
    My kids
    My Job
    My insurance

I'd be heading south for the winter...

(oh, I almost forgot, my dog is here to!)

EDIT: wanted to add, this is really NOT a pain that is going to send me off to an ER or anything, more of an annoyance than anything else, of course, what pain is not annoying?
  • It seems to me when I exert myself my healthy body parts (which are few) have to work extra hard to cover for the weak parts. The result is painful parts everywhere! And slipping on the grass has jerked me out of shape from top to bottom in the past. It's just awful isn't it? And then we worry so much we've done some damage. Hopefully you're feeling this way cuz you over did things a bit. Feel better soon!

Faith M
  • Did you call your PM or surgeon about the vertical pain? Any possible relationship to SCS placement or movement of leads?
  • After about 5-6 days things resolved to "normal".
    We actually have had decent weather here this week so it has actually been a good week! :D

My PM is "out of network" I have an appt on November 19th. Anything sooner would require "approval" Bah, humbug..

I do believe and had thought later that it is possible the vertical pain was the "tunnel" being strained and that caused the vertical pain.

I need to find some time to go get my films from the last surgery to see exactly where the wires are.
    I can't reach back there very well and am a little to chunky to tell :(
  • I have found that if I do certain activities, I can irritate the wire tunnel (probably breaking small adhesions). It generally settles down in a day or two and is fine. This same activity can increase the stimulation level temporarily as well. I've just gotten so used to it, it acts like our pain levels do, to signal me I've been over doing things a bit.

This discussion has been closed.