Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion and Infection Studies

ernurseeernurse Posts: 790
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This is a link to an online journal I subscribe to. As a fusion patient with multiple infections, it was interesting to me. I noticed that several members also have/are dealing with postop infections after fusions and repeat surgeries.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    I have been trying to figure out some of my post op problems. Mine came after ACDF surgeries, but werent in the cervical area.
    Instead, I developed Osteomyelitis in the bone graft area. I had to have 2 surgeries to scrape and work on that area and than had a full arm pict line and IV treatments at home for 3 months to get rid of the infection.
    I've never been bashful, so I wanted to know WHY, what caused that infection.... All I ever got was this things happen... I still dont buy that.
    I think infections can be avoided or at least minimized.
    By the entire surgical team doing 100% plus more of what they need to do.
    It was interesting, because talking to some of the nurses, they told me it wasnt the first time for Doctor X to have problems like this. Makes you wonder where some of the problems could exist.

I am fully aware that even under the best conditions, with the best teams, problems can happen. But when they do, lets hope everyone tries to figure out why and put a plan to avoid it in the future.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • myself. I have been leaking fluid out of my incision in my back for the last 7 weeks. I just started my 10week since my ALIF/PLIF fusion. I am fine on Keflex as soon as I'm done in 1 week or so I start to leak again. I'm on Keflex for the 3rd time since surgery and if it happens again the Dr told me this morning he will have to go in and see what is going on and clean it. Then put me on IV antibiotics...

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
    Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
    Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
    Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
    Brain shunt 2000"
    Brain shunt removed 20001"
    ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09