Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS--My Experience and Update

monibmmonib Posts: 102
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Management
A lot of interesting things have gone on this past week. First...I went for reprogramming today. I can tell you positional...in the beginning...is very much a part of healing. I spent 2 hours with rep who took her time to make sure everything was right. We finally figured out what needed to change to get the coverage I needed. I am a little different...guess we all are...but my lead was placed down instead of up. Let me explain mine is not sacral, mine is on the coccyxal nerve root. You can get low back coverage or at least I do...all the way to my toes. Wonderful when everything is working in the right spot.

Second interesting thing...I got a print out from my insurance of the trial and permanent placement. I almost fell out of my chair. The trial was $77,000 and the permanent was $185,000. This didn't include doctor, radiology, or anesthesia. Thank goodness I have insurance.

• So happy for you that you are getting relief!! It just gets better and better!!

Take care,

• WOW...they really socked it to your insurance didn't they.
    My trial was $8,000.00 and my implant was $45,749.00!! I thought that was staggering!!

Am so very happy it is helping you. Pain relief is priceless isn't it?
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • I'd ask for an itemized bill on that trial because that cost is way, way off. If I had to guess, I'd say the external stimulator portion was billed incorrectly. ;)
  • My costs or billed to insurance was
    about $3400 for the trial and $28000 +- for the implant. I only have one precutaneous lead, cervical.

So glad you have insurance and it is working!
    That is the biggest thing!
  • I don't know why it was so high. I know for a fact my insurance only paid $45,000 for the trial and they are requestion more information from the doctor before they pay on the permanent. I was just dumb founded...almost fell out of my chair.
  • I am wondering if when they billed they accidently on purpose added an extra zero to the end. LOL

I don't know...I just know I don't owe them anything as I have met my out of pocket.
  • What amazes me is that they could goof up the billing as such, since the billing is done by pre-established billing CODES not prices. So either whoever converted the billing code to a price goofed up, or they used the wrong billing code to start with.

• Maybe you can understand it better than I.
    Here is how it is listed on the insurance EOB.
    Drugs 632.00
    Med/Surg Supplies 31200.00
    X-Ray Services 2200.00
    Operating Room 28000.00
    Anesthesia Supplies 11000.00
    Drugs 34.00
    Recovery Room 4500.00
    Total of 77566.50
    Operating room and anesthesia supplies looks way to high. But I don't know.
  • my trial was only $5,000. The total cost for my perm implant was $143,000. The putpatient surgery center charged $61,000, the implant(IPG,Charging unit and remote) was $69,000. My poor PM only charged $5300.
  • I'd ask for itemized details, especially of the Med/Surg supplies, right down to the number of sponges. ;)

Your billing looks a lot like someone put in the wrong code for the trial stimulator and charged you for it, rather than charged it as a DME rental. Unless, of course, you kept the trial stimulator, in which case you've got a really expensive, useless little box in your custody. :))(
  • No I didn't keep the trial unit. Although it would make a good door stop, and might keeps cats out. LOL
    No I really don't know...I am going to give it another week and than I am going to sit down and figure some of it out and talk to the doctors office about it. They might be able to tell me what went on. Does sound high...but is working so I am happy.