Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Return to weight lifting after ADR?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I was wondering if anyone knows if an ADR (c5-6) prevents future weight lifting or fast running, etc. I'm not talking like benching 250lbs or anything, just normal workouts where I might pickup a 60-70 lb dumbbell.

• I've been looking around, can't find anything about weightlifting, see lots of stuff about folks with lower cervical disc replacements golfing, bowling, and swimming, but not weightlifting. I understand that an ADR is a temporary measure to preserve motion and delay fusion, so I personally would worry about weightlifting. What do they do for pro-athletes? I haven't heard of football players getting ADRs(doesn't mean they don't) but I have heard of them getting cervical fusions and playing(which I think is crazy, too!)

Sending you a PM with a link to a spine center that helped pioneer cervical ADRs here in the US and focuses on return to function. Maybe you can glean some info from their site or even call for just general information.
  • Hmm..where did you hear that an ADR is a temporary solution until a fusion is received? I have never heard that...I have read that an ADR should last for good.
  • No, no, I really don't think ADR is meant to last for good. Chime in here ADR people, isn't it only for young, healthy(non-arthritis) people who want to preserve motion until they are older and have to have a fusion? How long are ADRs supposed to last? I thought it was much shorter than a fusion. If no one answers, will look up where I've read it.
  • I thought the discs were supposed to last at least 20 years! Now I am nervous because I just scheduled the ADR..i'm 32.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,827
    Ask your doctor for their input... They are the ones who will be able to tell you IF you can do this or that or CANT do it.

One word of wisdom from this ole man.... If the doctor tells you something regarding limitations and restrictions, adhere to them.

I wished I would have listened some 25 odd years ago
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • One post you say "last for good" and another you say "20 years"? LOL, is that all you intend to be around for? :)

I sent you a PM with a site with many research articles, and it has a link to another site. Hate to quote without giving credit, but one says, "The main issue with artificial discs is we do not know how long they will last. Knee and hip replacements wear out in 10-15 years, so it is probably naïve to think this artificial joint will last a lifetime."

I think if you got 20 years out of an artificial disc that would be great, just my opinion. Since it's supposed to preserve motion and therefore limit adjacent disc disease, I would think(and wish I could have had it) it would be better than a fusion for younger, healthy, folk, especially those who plan to be active! I just was always under the impression that eventually you would need a fusion when the disc wore out.

20 years is not a lifetime to me! I had a lumbar fusion and have been told I have a golden window of 10-15 years before I have adjacent level disc disease from the wear and tear of a fusion. I really wish I had had the option of an ADR to delay that.

Ask your doc on restrictions and length of use. On length of use, I would ask what the rest of the world(since they've been using them longer than the US) has seen in length, and THEN what the FDA is allowing the disc to be warrantied in the US. I guess I'm assuming you are in the US. For example, my spinal cord stimulator battery is only allowed to be warrantied for 5 years by the FDA, but my doc says he's NEVER had to replace one that early due to battery issues, they last longer than that.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about just scheduling the ADR, I'd be jumping for joy that you are a candidate! You also seem very eager to begin the recovery process if you're already asking about weightlifting. Your positive attitude will get you far. Please post what you find out from your doc and good luck!