Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MMI and Permanent Restrictions

ernurseeernurse Posts: 790
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Who the heck declares me at MMI and sets my permanent restrictions? My GP, who does my pain med management, my spine surgeon who referred me to an anesthesia guy for my SCS, or the anesthesia guy who put in the SCS since he's the last to see me????? The SCS guy has only addressed my leg pain, said no SCS will help my back pain and does NOT prescribe meds, only does interventions. My spine surgeon has been in my back and has seen the damage and has also said archnoiditis and has done multiple surgeries on me, but has not seen me since he referred me to the SCS guy. My GP is willing to prescribe meds for me forever, I have a pain contract with him, but he relies on me to tell him what the spine center folks say, so don't know if he feels comfortable enough with my complicated spine issues to set the restrictions. He has filled out my LTD papers and handicapped parking tag papers, tho(he doesn't charge for this while the spine center does.)

My long term follow up will be with my GP as he is close unless surgery is indicated, then it will be back to the spine center that is 2 1/2 hours away.

What has been your experience???

• Angie,

My MMI was set by them sending me to the FCE exam and then they figured out the permanent restrictions from that test. Now mind you the last surgeon set the restrictions. When my first surgeon released me to MMI he left to the pain management to set the restrictions. Because he figured they would work with getting the pain down some. Now the last surgeon set the permanent restrictions before he performed the hardware removal, stating that the surgery wouldn't change the out come one way or the other. Wrong cause the FCE itself changed the outcome, as it herniated another level. So I would assume since you had the SCS installed they will want another FCE when they know it is stable. The restrictions will be set from there. I am sure work comp already has whom will be setting your permanent restrictions and the target date for that.
  • How this goes, after 3 years I am still on "temporary" medical restrictions at work. Was "supposed" to be sent packing at the 6 month point till I was at MMI, but Human Resources dropped the ball and "forgot" about me!
    So, they contacted me in April and I told them I was having SCS surgery on May 4th. They said, "ok" and reset my 6 month clock since it was a "new" surgery!
    That expires November 2 end of day. I don't have a PM appt till November 19th.HR extended my 6 month point till then, At that point I will be in the same boat. I have asked my PCP and he said that he can refer me for FCE. I read our HR rules and if they require it they will pay for it. So I am not about to start the process myself! Not looking forward to doing a FCE if they make me.
    I think that a lot will depend on what my PM says I can ultimately do with the SCS in place. Plus my existing job description requires me to lift 75lbs, work in cramped tight spaces, work at height and be able to lift 40 lb weights out away from my body! Oh, the fun part is when loading 40lb weights like that I would be 70ft in the air working OVER peoples heads...not going to do that!

To add to the confusion, my immediate boss is supposed to rewrite my job description, but won't actually do it. His bosses are pushing him to but he just can't be bothered. I can't do it, because I don't know all the details he wants me to do! It's very frustrating as if the new job description is written right, I will not even need the FCE or restrictions on my job description.

Sorry, about the long post. Just needed to vent and am fairly concerned about the whole process myself as you can tell!