Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still In Pain 1 year after my ADR/ALIF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just found you guys and this is my first post, so hello from 'Downunder'

In Sept 2008 I had an ADR using Charite artificial disc to my L4L5 and ALIF Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion to my L5S1.

Straight after surgery I had no back or leg pain. Only pain was from the actual surgery and it was bearable. Even had the nurses keep telling me to push the button on the pain pump because I had felt ok enough without it.

Anyway probably about 5 months after surgery I started to get the pain back in my legs, including hot legs and burning hot feet and the pain in my lower back around what i think is my L4L5 or the ADR. I was thinking it must have been from the fusion but after research now I know it isnt. I just hope I am not one of failed Charite Disc stories I have read about over the last few days.

I go back to my surgeon who is 1000 kms away interstate at end Nov but not sure if he will give me the right answers. I do trust him 100% but I cannot see him admitting to my surgery - which is his surgery - failing. He is tied up with the company for Charite and gets royalties for each disc (from what he told me prior to surgery)

So now I dont know what to do. Wife and kids are sick of hearing about my pain and problems. People say to just deal with it. How? The burning feet, pain in legs, sleep problems, and the hot and very painful lower back. My latest xray shows early facet problems, something i never had before. I feel like I have a time bomb sitting inside me just waiting to go off. My family GP doctor has no idea and reckons I just have to put up with it. Now he has me at a physio who reckons I should never had surgery and just put up with pain. What now? Sorry had to get it off my chest, no one here to offer any advice or anyone that wants to hear about it....
advertisement

Comments

• don't have back pain can't really understand what those with back pain goes through. Just deal with is a sucky answer and it fuels my fire to hear people say that.

If you surgery failed the it is what it is no matter what. If you surgeon is a good one- then he can admit it- it doesn't make his fault- it just didnt work and maybe you just need to be fused in place of the ADR- I am sure by now he has received his royalties for your ADR disc- right?? HA

Good luck to you in the downunder!!~
    S~
  • I would be firm with doctor. I would ask if there are ways to check and see if the ADR is not being accepted by your body. Hopefully the surgeon is able to admit not all do well with every procedure and will follow through this with you.

Keep us posted as to your outcome. I so know what it's like for others to not understand. It's easy when your not in pain to forget just how bad it gets.
  • I am sorry for the return of your pain. I think that is all of us spineys worst fear that after going through these surgeries that the pain will return. After my first surgery, I had a terrible charlie horse pain in my leg and my first thought was great,this has not helped at all. I am fortunate in that it was my last leg pain. This is a great site, with caring people who listen and actually know what you are going thru. Nobody knows your pain but you.
    Keep us informed and know that many of us will be praying for better days in the future. God Bless!
  • Thanks for the replies. Good to know peopleare interested, even if my GP isnt.

I am thinking after reading about failed Cahrite discs causing facet joint pain and problems that this may be my problem now.

I will ask my surgeon when I finally get to seee him.

I might put up a new post about this facet joint pain being linked to failed charites and see if anyone here can help me out with their experiences

thank you again
    Mick
advertisement