Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still have leg pain post surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum. Am so happy to have read of other folks' post operative experience. I had a lumbar disc removed on 17 Sept 2009, and was alarmed that I now feel quite severe calf pain in my left leg. I had hoped to be totally pain free after the op, which I was for the first few days, but now realise that was probably the result of pain medication. It seems that everyone's time frame for healing is different.. My nuerosurgeon did not seem concerned, he said Physical Therapy sessions were not really necessary, but I am seriously considering going for a series of sessions. I do back ex. at home, but I think the formal surpervision will help. Thanks for all those who have made such insighful comments,and shared expreiences, I do feel more reassured.[ Although wish the pain would subside!!!]
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Im mark
    hopeing some one out there could help
    I have had two surgerys, first double spine fusion on L4-L5-S1,the bottom fusion didn't union, so they went back in to fix it and add new screws. its been 7 months in the last month Ive devlope all my symtoms again with great pain in my back and more pain in my legs and feet. the doctor said my cat-scan looks great? He gave me methyiprednisolne
    and said take it easy for a couple of days,
    Im in excruciating pain, I can tell it not going to get better in a couple of days
    does any know what could be happening to me
    any help would be great
    thanks
  • I can share. I had my fusion done Jan 7, 2009 L3-5 with all the bells and whistles. For 3 weeks my leg pain resolved, then returned even worse. For several months the doctors said it was from them moving the nerves around but as time went on it became clear the pain, numbness, tingling, falls, ect. were not improving. I had a clean MRI May of 2009 that had the doctors shrugging, so they reffered me to neurology. I saw 2 neurologists, one good one bad, and both said it was my hardware. I have 6 screws and 2 rods as far as I know lol. So Sept 30th I had a hardware block which was basically positive and now I'm awaiting a hospital date to have my hardware out. As far as the legs, they doubt they will ever get better. The nerves have been compressed for too long. My doctor is even skeptical about the hardware removal helping my back signifigantly but we have to as least try.
    Anni,
    Hopefully what you are feeling is just pain from them moving the nerves all around during surgery and that will get better over time.
    Best wishes
    Cyndi
    Mom to Tony 13, Gavin 9, and Donovan 7
    Surgery 1/07/2009:
    1. L3-4 decompression laminectomy and foraminotomy
    2. Left complete L3-4 discectomy with decompression of L4 root.
    3. Posterior lumbar interbody fusion, L3-4 with 10-mm Capstone cage and autograph.
    4. Posterior spinal fusion L3-L5 with iliac bone graph and BMP
    5. Legacy instrumentation, L3 to L5
  • Hello Mark,
    I had a microdiscectomy about 8 weeks ago. I was still having extreme leg pain up until week 7. At week 6 post op they put me on prednison to help expedite the reduction of inflammation and finally last week it seemed to help where my leg pain is minimal.

They initially told me I would not need PT either but at my 2 & 6 week post op appt, they rescinded and said they will recommend it but they want to wait until week 10.

So, it could be normal. When you go in, let your dr. know b/c my doctor initially was concerned that I had a recurrence on my hernination but did some basic checks to confirm I was progressing but just extremely slowly. They will consider another MRI at week 10 if I don't show dramatic improvement.
  • I had L4/5 fusion in July 2008 and had left calf pain (cramps and also occasional sharp pain) for weeks after. I think it started about 3 weeks post-surgery and continued for a month or so before it settled down. I also had intermittent sharp pain in my left thigh that went away at about 2 months post-op, I think.

I hope yours turns out to be pain from those "irritated" nerves and that they settle down soon!
advertisement