Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi I just need to see if and how anyone who has had a three level fusion has recovered. I am due for surgery next week on October 22nd and I guess I am getting a bit nervous. I need to also have a 6x4 mm synovial cyst removed so they told me I would be flipped over after fusion. What should I expect for recovery? I had a single cervical fusion 14 years ago that went very well and I have the same doctor who anyone that I have talked to is the best in San Antonio,Tx. I just need some feedback .Thanks.

• flipped over? I only had 2 level done - 360 fusion- so I am not sure how the two differ when it comes to recovery. I want to wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on your progress.

• I just got back from my presurgery interviews and paperwork, so now it seems real....ACDF scheduled for next Monday. I have had surgery before, and don't remember ever being nervous like this. Any reassurances welomed and appreciated!
  • Sue - Neck surgery is scary. There is no getting around that. The six week wait from when I booked my surgery until it was done was the worst time of my life.

Everyone's neck seems to repond differently to injury and the corresponding treatment/surgery as well.

I have had a very good post-op experience. Reading some of the challenges other posters have faced makes me appreaciate all the good fortune I have had so far.

Keep your spirits up and I wish you a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

• You'll be fine. Especially since your doc did you right 14 yrs ago & he's the best there. Removal of cyst is nothing. Might as well get that done too while you're knocked out. Seems to me that the majority in here, have had 3 level ACDF. Good medicine, this place.
    Good luck with everything.
  • Thanks Zack , I guess I am just nervous . My doc's office called and said I need to be on steroids starting Tuesday the day before the surgery for spinal chord swelling. I really don't get it though because I'm going to be in the hospital the next day anyway . Has anyone else had to take steroids before surgery? They did'nt say how long and I really hate steroids.

Zack , love your pic of the Golden .
  • Makes sense to me to get on them a week before surgery. It takes a few days for them to start working anyway. I think that's a good thing to do, because swelling causes alot of pain. I took them a few weeks after surgery. They said it would reduce the pain due from swelling. It did. Trust in your doc because it sounds like you have a very good one. Lucky for you, because there are some that don't think twice about "slicing you open" and aren't there for you during recovery! It's true!
    Take care... hope this helped... talk to you later!
    That's my boy golden in the pic... my baby!!! thx
  • Thanks Ms Julie! I do feel better now that I know that this is protocal for the surgery. I am still alittle upset that the doc won't prescribe any antiemetics for me to take my Hydrocodone post surgery. The nurse said that the doc doesnt prescribe Phenergan anymore because it causes problems. Every surgery I have had in the past I was given Phenergan because I vomit with all pain meds. He wants me to take Pepcid with the hydrocodone. Geez it hardly helps my acid reflux. We shall see I guess. Surgery is Thursday October 22. I will keep in touch with this site and let everyone know how I do.

A little nervous, Kathy
    PS I too have a Golden name Annie !
  • Hey - I'll be on vacation next week, so send me a PM when you are up to it, after surgery. All opiates, like Hydrocodone, make me sick to my stomach too. I found by taking HALF of one, controlled the pain & did not upset my stomach. Muscle pain was my biggest complaint because they went in through the back & opened me up wide like a football. Not all MRI's are exactly clear, so they wanted to see EXACTLY what nerve or nerves were impended, then correct any & all that were. With you, they are going in from the front. Less post op pain, I hear.
    Take Care
    :? ; 0

• Ms. Julie ,
    I will let you know how it goes. Yes they will be going through the front for fusion and then turn me over and go through the back to remove the cyst on facet joint. Don't really like the idea of two cuts but oh well I guess they will do what they have to.

Thanks so much Julie!
  • I'll be checking in here at the 1st of next month to check on you!!!
  • I had a 3 level ACDF 12 weeks ago. I'm not good at surgeries because I'm so small. They tend to over do the anesthesia so I did react to that but after a few days I got over that.

I stopped pain pills after the first week and went to Tylenol.

My biggest battle was holding up my big head LOL. I got satin sheets so I could slide into bed. I got a flat pillow too so it was easy to roll in and out. I also got satin PJ for trips away from home.

I really babied myself because I do not want to do this again. House work was not possible for 6 weeks and I am still not doing the major stuff.

I'm really glad I did this but the recovery is long. Knowing not to expect to feel like me for about a year has helped me be realistic about this. I still can't wait until I can celebrate my victory!

Keep us posted as to your outcome. Good thoughts going your way!
  • Hi -
    how did your surgery go? I had my 3 level done on July 31. I had immediate relief of pain in my arm, shoulder and left side of neck but still have some numbness and flashes of pain which is normal while the nerves heal. My surgery went smoothly. The first couple of weeks my throat hurt and swallowing was difficult.

I had to wear the collar 24/7 for 2 months and sleeping is still difficult for me. I went back to work full time at 7 weeks post op. and do find myself very tired by the end of the day. I drive short distances only because I'm paranoid that I'll have to turn my head suddenly.

At my 4 week post-surgery appointment my doctor said my x-rays looked fine. She scheduled me for a 2 month follow up which will be November 3rd. Unlike some people that I've read about, she didn't want me to start physical therapy, so right now I'm very sore and can't really move my arms above my shoulders very well. Button up clothing is still my friend!

I hope you are doing well. I found that this website very helpful during the days of my surgery.

- Margaret