Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cbergensccbergens Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi everyone,
I'm relatively new to the site and stiil having trouble navigating around it, but honestly, unless I'm just missing something, I"m not finding stories of recovery which is what I was hoping for. I feel like I'm hearing horror stories of people in varying stages of 'awful' and I"m really wondering, is recovery from back surgery and in my case, nerve damage, really possible? Or is that people leave the site once they get better and therefore we don't hear stories of recovery? I really need hope and something positive to hang to but gosh, this is all sounding so depressing. Does anyone have any stories of recovery? Or do you know someone who recovered? Thanks!

• I just read one successful story here http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/feeling-fantastic-12-days-after-360-fusion This is a place where people come to get info and surgery must have lists and even for those of us myself included who haven't had surgery and just to get support. You're right there are many who've had surgery and they're off enjoying their life. I know it takes a long time for nerves to heal like your Surgeon said I hope you have a complete recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thank you so much for your lovely and quick reply. I'm going to refer to this when I feel so down and hopeless.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Jeauxbert, Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro
    In addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the Authority team haglandc , tamtam , Neck of Steel , Cath111

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message

One of the reasons you dont see that many of the good stories is the way the member community runs here. Normally people register for this site when they begin to experience Spinal Problems and want some more information. There is a large percentage of members that once they have gotten past their problem, be it surgery or other methods, slowly fad away from this site. I am happy for those folks, because they are now back to where they wanted to be.
    We also have a large percentage of people that are still going through all their problems, so this site is like a life line to them.
    Then we have members who have for the most part gotten past their problems, but stay here to help other members.

You will find a couple of sections that describe the
    good success stories. Unfortunately, many times those posts are scattered around, so it makes it more difficult to find.

I look at myself as one who has overcome most of the problems. I've been dealing with chronic pain for over 35 years now, I havent had a surgery since 2000 and I do not see one in the future. But I still am in pain, I still get flare ups.. But I consider myself as one of the patients with a good success story.

Here is one thread that you might want to look at
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I consider my last surgery a success. Yes I have flare-ups, that can be pretty bad but I also have good days. As of today I am on my fourth day of zero pain.How long the pain free days will last who knows? I could be flat on my "you know what" tomorrow. But its the pain free days that keep me going. I am in the recovery phase of a 3 level fusion (my 6th surgery) on my neck with corpectomy. So yes there are success stories, I am alive and I am lucky the damage was not worse. With the help of a good pain management doc and a little luck I will continue to improve. Stay positive there are people who get better. I am one of the ones that has been spending less time on spine health. I am back to work and enjoying life again. But then again I may be posting tomorrow complaining about the worse flare-up ever. Take one day at a time is my new motto.
  • Thank you all for giving new another perspective. I'm such a high anxiety person (I have panic disorder also but it is controlled most of the time) and my mind can think the most AWFUL things and completely lose perspective. That's why I need this site, to help keep my 'stinkin thinkin' in check.

• My lumbar fusion was 10 years ago with great success a L4and 5.I was ba ck rollerblading ,golfing,biking etc.The back and leg pain was gone after surgery.
    Yes you do have flares on occasion but its usually your body telling you it doesn't like what your doing and of course you can always blame the weather.
    I was determined that they were going to fix my problem and i wasn't going to look back. I'm happy I did it and it was a great success. GOOD LUCK
  • Like Ron pointed out, most people move on after they have recovered. Some of us stay on a bit longer, especially to reassure someone who is as worried as you are. Currently there is a thread under "Back and neck surgery" trying to get answers to the question "are you better off or worse after your surgery?" It is not a scientific surgery, because the majority who stay on this site are still having some problems, but even keeping this is mind, a lot of the responses are very positive. Personally I had a very successful 3-level spinal fusion almost 1 1/2 years ago, I have many problems related to my arthritis, but my back is holding out beautifully.

Wishing you well,

• I've said this to you before, but it bears repeating. You are too impatient with this whole recovery process! Believe it or not, your body is still in healing mode. It is not at all uncommon to have some residual pain for a year or even up to two years after surgery.

Nerves are VERY sensitive. Sometimes one can just get bumped during surgery and this can result in nerve pain that can last for months. Sometimes the doctor cannot even see any reason why there is nerve pain after surgery. It is very frustrating, but it does happen.

Sometimes it just takes awhile to find the "right" doctor or the right treatment. Belonging to this Spiney Club does require a great deal of grit and determination and PATIENCE.

Take good care,
  • I feel I'm a success story & yes, I left the site after a few month of my surgery. I felt I was doing so well etc. etc.
    I just came back today to say I'm released from my doctor's care now & don't have to go back unless something "happens". Todday was my 9 month post op appt.

I'm roughly 90% fused & a lot of times forget I even had surgery, other than I don't have the back pain anymore. I'm 9 months post op & doing great!! I hope others have as much success as I have.

Now if I could get my knee & hip to cooperate I'd be perfect. {arthritis, bone spurs & fibro}.
    Good luck.

• I should mention that my doctor told me after surgery that he could only fix my spine to about 50%. I think he totally underestimated himself as I feel fine. The nurse practitioner agrees that he did much better on my spine than 50%.

This is a very good surgeon too, so saying that, these guys can't work miricles but they can help. My doc. sure helped me.

Again, Good Luck.