Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Med HUGE Mess Up !

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Medications
The last few days I have noticed that my break though pain meds where not working like they always have. ( Oxycodein 5 mg ). Last night while shopping I asked hubby to give me 2 of them, and when he did he said "hey you only have a few of these left". So today I called my Drs office and spoke with his nurse and asked if I could come by tomorrow and pick up the script. She needs to check with Dr and will get back to me.
SO later tonight I am thinking wow I went though those pills really quick this time.

Here I have been taking the wrong pills for the past few days!!! :B

I have WEEKS worth of pain pills left.
So I tell hubby all of this and he says "do not call the Dr back as they will think you can not handle your meds correctly and will stop giving them to you".

Looking back now I know what happened. We had a super super busy week with our daughter and grandchildren moving and I was keeping my pills in my purse as we were doing so much running around. The 2 bottles look 100% the same, and I did not have my glasses on and was in a rush and was taking the wrong pills.

BUT I feel really dishonest not telling the Dr I don't need more pain meds right now.

If you do the math of what I am allowed to take I could be out of the pills.

So I am asking for your opinions please.
Do you think if I call and tell the truth it will hurt me getting my pills in the future?

I hate having to even think this way..... :( :/

• I'd have to say it would depend on your doctor. In my area, nearly all of the docs are very anti-narcotics, to the point that I've had to go to the ER for pain control more than once as my docs won't give them out. If your doc is one you know well and can trust, you could probably tell him what happened. If not, I'd skip the call.

Sorry that didn't really help much, it's a tough call. It's terrible to have to think this way, but sometimes you have to just to ensure you won't suffer worse in the future :(
  • Honesty is always the best way to go.

I would call back and tell the doctor that you were mistaken and that you don't need the refill yet. You don't have to tell them you were taking the wrong pills for those days, but you also don't need to be getting/filling a prescription under false pretenses. If you do, it's sure to come back and bite you later on.
  • that I agree with Kat. Do what you are comfortable with. But it would not be worth jeapordizing your realationship with your doc. It is sad that we have to be so paranoid but with so much going on with docs being afraid to prescribe the pain meds I think that we really must consider what is in our own best interest. I feel sure that a few members will come along with the opinion that honesty is always the best policy but there really is alot to consider. Good luck with your decision and let us know how it turns out.
  • i was on 10mg of Oxycontin 2 times a day at the start but over the years its gone to 400mg in total of oxycontin and oxynorm ,i have talked to my doctor and told him that i needed more pain relief and because i was honest with him and he had evidence that i am in a lot of pain he had no problem giving me the higher dose ..there is no point telling your doctor that you can manage on say 10mg a day when you need 20 mg a day because you will always need to put your repeat in early and that will cause suspicion ..my advice would be to sit down with your doctor and work out sensibly how many pills you need to get you through the month ..one tip work to your worse day ,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    what exactly were you taking when you thought it was your breakthrough medication?

I agree with everyone here, honesty is the best way to go. I'd call the doctor and explain exactly what happened.

I am surprised that they wrote a new script for you.
    Doctors keep track of your medication usage and having only a few breakthrough medications would raise a flag.

My pain management doctor is very conservative and keeps track of all my prescription refills. If she believes that something is not right, she would let me know.

Now that I do not take any extended relief pain medication, I use only the breakthrough immediate relief. It used to be Oxycondon 5mg IR, now its
    Opana 5mg.

I have ranged from 4 pills a day up to 10. So right now I am pretty much on target.

Honesty - thats the best way to go

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I think you mean Oxycodone IR for breakthrough pain. Are you on a 'long-acting' medication as well, like Oxycontin?

For the doctor, if you're due for a refill anyways, it really doesn't matter either which way. You certainly don't have to explain yourself if you call back and tell them that you don't need a refill just quite yet.

It would show the doctor a lot of trust if you called and said you don't need to get your refill yet. Especially in times like this where so many abusers are making it harder for those of us who truly suffer and need narcotic pain meds, I'd take every chance to build further trust with the doc!

Are you from the U.S.? I only ask because I've never heard of Opana and I've pretty much been on every type of pain med out there. I'll have to look it up.

I'm currently on Oxycontin and Oxycodone IR but sadly I think my doc will have me admitted to the hospital because of rapidly deteriorating conditions and pain. I just wish a darn surgeon would step up and do the surgery I need.

• I had a very long response typed out, and I erased it.
    I know in my heart this was a error on my end and that I did NOTHING wrong intencialy. I thought my opening post explained that :<

Thank you to those who understand the error I made and the position I am now in.

• Beth, I think your opening post was very clear that you didn't do anything intentionally!

We all have cranial emissions now and then.. image

In fact, on the topic of cranial emissions and medication.. I was sick a couple of weeks ago and my partner had to take over pet care in the house for me. In the process, one of our dogs accidentally got my antibiotics instead of his antidepressant, for several days. You should have heard the laughter in the background when I had to tell my doctor "my dog ate my antibiotics." 8}
  • he would rather know that you do not need another script at present, or you could talk to your pharmacist who can contact the doctor on your behalf, i know this works very well if the pharmacist and doc are friendly, it happens many times, i am a dispensing tech in a pharmacy ( on long term sick now) no one would think badly of you, they would think you were very honest and you would gain their respect
  • any time i hear an excuse about mis counting or running short, i am like a doctor, i get a red flag. even if one wears glasses, that is not an excuse for taking the wrong meds, i wear them by the way. it is hard for me to believe people who say they are miscounting. most of us have to sign a contract for our narcotics and most contracts state that excuses such as miscounting or losing or whatever are not valid excuses and you can be dropped from the dr's role. i have signed 2 of them and they all state this. it is amazing your dr will write a new script for this oversite because he can also get in trouble with the dea. i know most of us and at least myself have never miscounted or taken the wrong meds at all. even with glasses and lack of sleep or whatever, it has never occured. we are adults and it is our responsibility to keep track of meds
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Jon I know what happened was a honest error on my part, despite the fact that you are perfect and assume we all should be as well.

I won't be returning here again. I will not be on a support forum where I am basically accused of misusing my meds and doing illegal things.

I have enough stress in my life without a support forum giving me more.

To those of you who understand I am human and made a mistake and have offered me support & information in so many others ways- I Thank You ♥
  • this goes back to my part about criticisms and i am going to take my ball and go home is a defensive response at best. i just know in all the years i have taken pain meds, 12, i have not lost count or taken the wrong ones or whatever. it is not being perfect it is called responsibility for my medicines. i guess there could be an honest mistake but i've heard of too many pain patients that abuse their meds which in the long haul make it harder on us who depend on them. dr's hear this and it puts up a red flag and in turn they feel they are being taken advantage of and as a result they are more hesitant to give out narcotics. when we don't lose or take wrong meds, the doctors will not have another excuse to not give out pain meds.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Beth,
    I am sorry you find yourself in this predicament. It happens, we are not perfect, NONE of us are. I have been on pain meds on and off for sometime now and I have had mistakes happen. I don't know what I would do in your situation, I hope it all works out for you. Sorry you received judgment on here by some instead of support, I hope you will come back.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I hope you decide to stay at SH. Everyone here isn't as quick to judge (or misjudge). Maybe people should read your post again and notice that you're saying you d o n' t need the refill yet not that you lost your pills and need some more. I truly hope you see that one opinion isn't the only one here. Most of us understand.

• Why are some of you being so uncaring to Beth. She admitted she made an error in her meds and just was seeking guidance from everyone. We all are human and make mistakes in our life in one form or another. This is supposed to be a place where we all can seek advice and comfort. NOT RIDICULE. It would be different if she had stated she was over medicating herself and wanted more and more drugs. How can we ever help people if we keep running them off to hide within themselves with the pain. We all need to think before our fingers start typing. Bash me for my post if you need or want, but i've got pretty big shoulders can can handle it. Other are not so lucky.A little compasion goes along way. We all look for it and need it so lets give some back.
  • I am so sorry that this has happened to you. But I think you need to call him and tell him you took the wrong meds for a few days. I hope what you took wont harm you. I think he will understand that it was a honest mistake and respect you for it. Dont let some bother you with there lack of support. You have alot of friends here, and I would really miss you if you dont come back. Sometimes some people dont understand what we go through. Please stay Beth, we love ya!
  • Beth1187 said:
    I had a very long response typed out, and I erased it.
    I know in my heart this was a error on my end and that I did NOTHING wrong intencialy. I thought my opening post explained that :<

Thank you to those who understand the error I made and the position I am now in.

I understood your post. You are not short on your meds but rather have way more than you should because you were taking the wrong med. I would never suggest taking more than the prescribed and then lying about it. I think that a few posters may not have read your entire post before responding.
  • that folks would read the post that they are responding to before giving a response that has absolutely nothing at all to do with the original post. This poor girl is getting badgered for being OVER on her meds! Not SHORT!!
  • Please remember that when you ask for the opinions of members on this site, you will get just that. Some may seem harsher than others, but it all boils down to "be careful what you ask for because you just might get it"

Beth1187 said:
    So I am asking for your opinions please.
    Do you think if I call and tell the truth it will hurt me getting my pills in the future?

I hate having to even think this way.....
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    But I am confused. You took too many of the wrong drug. What was that drugs name and strength and how many were you supposed to take a day? And what was that drug for.
    And you thought you were taking your break through drug but wasn't,so after calling the doctor to refill early, you discovered that you were not running low on break through drug. But was running short (obviously) of a drug that you did not name in your post. And, in fact you therefor had to many of the breakthrough drug and want to cancel that order. What about the other unnamed drug you took in it's place. don't you need to re order that drug.
    A P.M.Dr. usually gives you a drug to take every day at certain times. And, if he thinks it's needed, a "break through" drug that might be taken once a day or as needed, not to exceed X amount per day for "break through" pain. That is a pain spike of some sort. Or instances where your regular meds. aren't keeping up.
    So I think you should go to Dr. And tell him exactly what happened. Show him the two bottles and let him do the math with fill dates how many of what drug is left. And what should be left. That would be honest and best way to have a Dr. patient relationship. And it would be guilt free on your mind.
    And Jon already said, I guess there could be an honest mistake. So take that as an apology and lets move on.
    Good luck, Jim
    P.S. please don't leave s.h.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Post removed by moderator paulgla. Inappropraite.
  • Tell your doctor. You will not be thought less of for making a mistake (expecially because it would be a reversal of "I need more pain meds---no I don't". I think you will score points with your doc for calling back and sayingthat you don't in fact need more pain meds. (Unfortunately, most PM docs don't get these calls very often. It will be appreciated. A gold star will go on your file. Most of us who suffer from chronic pain have memory issues. I saw a neurologist after my fusion surgery because I wasn't recognizing some of my co-workers. (That was scary.) The neurologist determined that my memory was excellent BUT my concentration was horrible (due to the pain, the meds and the lack of sleep) so it was not that I wasn't remembering things, it was that I wasn't concentrating well enough to even form a memory. I found this concept really interesting. My advice (and remember you asked for it) is to tell your doc that you goofed up and don't need more pain meds. Its particularly difficult (in my opinion) to find a PM that you really hit it off with. If this confession (which 99% would be happy to hear) should cause a problem, then you're not with the right guy/gal. Please don't leave Spine Health. I almost did acouple of weeks ago. Stay here and help me make this a better, more compassionate site. Susan.
  • I'm with Susan. Beth, I hope you decide to stay.
  • >:D< Sending you a hug! I had to laugh about your busy weekend because I am "eyeglass" challenged -- most recently lost my glasses and hubby found them the following weekend as he mowed over them in the yard (LOL!) Thank goodness I have backups.

Hey, don't let the actions of one keep you from enjoying the support of so many others on this site. We understand -- to err is human -- if we were perfect, we wouldn't be on this earth!

Take care,

• decide to stay. There are a few people on here who think if their opinions are harsher then they will be heard. Those who feel in giving harsh opinion and judgement to others may feel as if they have been wronged somewhere in their lives. Compassion is what we should be about- understanding and support- It amazes me that those who choose to post this way would expect not just an honest answer but a bit of compassion as NONE of us are perfect!
    Beth my advice to you is stay with us and simply skip over any post you don't want to read. There are more compassinate people on this forum then not. I have learned to shake my head and move forward.

• Hi Beth,

I think it's always wise to be honest when we make mistakes, as you gain the respect of others and it clears your conscience. When I flub-up, I'm always the first one to raise my hand (or holler out) so I can deal with whatever flub-up I did and get it settled.

It's miserable having something hanging over your head, so my opinion (for what it's worth) would be to give the doctor a call. There's no need to go into specific details when you call, just indicate you were in error and you wanted to let them know. I truly believe they will appreciate your honesty, particularly in this situation. I doubt they receive many calls from patients saying they made a mistake and they do have enough pain medication.

When you think about it... true "drug seekers" wouldn't think of calling and reporting their error, which resulted in having "extra" medication on hand. You, on the otherhand, are feeling uneasy for not telling your doctor that your mistake resulted in having an extended supply of pain medication... due to taking a different medication.

I understand your message, completely.

Whether it is placing a call or waiting until your next visit... please do what you are most comfortable with. Let your conscience be your guide... you have already displayed having a very good conscience by posting this, Beth.

• :S Hi Beth,

I hope you don't leave this site, I kind of found a soulmate in you and all that has been going on. You are under alot of stress right now, not just about your chronic pain. I think honesty with your Dr. is your best route and let him/her know all of the other hardships your family is going through right now. I think everything will turn out just fine. Not everyone on this forum knows what else you are dealing with so I guess you'll have to cut them a break, just let it go. Hope all is going as well as can be expected.

You and your family are in my prayers,

Donna O:)
  • When I ended my last post here, I fully expected never to return - however I then decided to take a time out to cool down and see how I felt in a day or so.

I am SO sensitive to doing my meds correctly and for almost 6 yrs took under the daily amounts I was allowed and always refused more and/or strong meds that some of the opinions here really hit me hard. I have fought all along to NOT be the "drug abuser".
    Hence I am sure I did over react..

I am sure I also over acted due to just not being in a good place right now with life. ( not using as an excuse, just explaining ). My reactions were not called for.

My apologies to the forum.

My father in law who I am super close to, has lung cancer and came home last week as a DNR. They are giving him 10 days to live.
    In the midst of that crisis my own health tests results are showing cervix cancer and I have had to have 3 biopsies this week to see what stage I am in. I am schedule for surgery on Oct 23 - I just don't know WHAT surgery I will be having yet. It all depends on what the biopsies show. It could be as "little" as they can remove the cancer area and all is well to a full hysterotomy and chemo and/or radiation. I won't know until Tuesday ( at the earliest ).

SO I will admit I am SUPER emotional right now and again am sure I over reacted with a rather knee jerk response of "I don't need any more hassles in my life".

HOWEVER in my short time out, I quickly came to realize that I sure do miss most of you and the support and knowledge that I receive here.

I will display all efforts to avoid conflict here in the future and ignore negative responses.

Any ways I want to try to move past this and move forward with the positive relationships I have built here.

Conclusions of this whole med mix up was:
    I could not reach the Drs. PA again on the phone. So I went down to the office and spoke with her in person and she handed me the script saying "well here take it anyways to save yourself a trip back when you do need it". That spoke volumes to me! That their practice knows I don't over take over use the meds. They also gave me a script for the med I did use incorrectly ( which was for nausea ).

I also told my pharmacist what happened and with a phone call to the Dr. they said from now on I will get 1 med in capsule form and the other in pill form, so this does not happen again.

I myself have decided to NEVER carry the bottles in my purse again either. I got a pill box with labels on now.

So I guess there were many lessons in this life experience for me that will hopefully only better myself :)

I read the updates, PM and emails tonight from members here and want to say "Thank You" >:D<
  • Post deleted by moderator paulgla. I will contact the user this user is claiming to be and confirm it!
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I'm sorry you have so much going on with your own health and your Father-in-law in his last days. I'm glad things went well with your Doctor. I wish everything turns out well for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN