Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Loud Pop in Back of Head - No pain but scary!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
For about a year now I have had a loud pop occur when I go from having my neck flexed with chin up to bringing chin down closer to my chest. No pain whatsoever, but it is loud (others look at me and say "WHAT WAS THAT!!?!" and it frightens me because it feels like my head is going to break off. I know that sounds quite peculiar, but it is the best way I can describe it. It continues to get more pronounced as the months wear on. I can go through periods where it doesn't happen at all, and then through periods where it happens 20 times a day. I can never tell when it will pop, so it has me on edge too. Any idea what this could be?

• yuk..that sounds aweful & I truely feel for you but I've heard of this before and although it sounds and probobly feels very weird, I don't think it's a serious matter but I'm no doctor, sounds to me like...don't laugh..."Exploding Head Syndrome". HeHe...I know! Strange name but you can researh it yourself on Wikipedia or wherever, as I did, cause I had some strange buzzing sounds, well besides my brain cells buzzing away with the age factor!

All kidding aside, I'm sure you'll feel relieved after reading all about it. It could also be some medication your taking or perhaps another problems, so I'd tell your doctor just to be safe.

Hope they stop soon!!!
    All the best =)
  • Hi Njnancy,

first let me say welcome to spine-health. Have you discussed this issue with your primary care doctor? I have really no idea what it could be, as there are so many things that could be causing it. keep in mind we are not doctors just a bunch of patients struggling through spine issues. But I definitely would get that checked out by a doctor. Once again welcome to spine-health.