Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 days and counting...

Mark33MMark33 Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have posted here and received some great advice.. I am going in for an L5/S1 fusion on Tuesday the 20th. Please keep me and my family in your prayers. I am somewhat nervous but have spoken to 3-4 people the last few weeks that have recently had this same type of surgery with my doctor and they feel that they have gotten their lives back. I have prayed about it for weeks and know that whatever happens, it is God's will and it is meant to be.. I will keep you all posted from the time I go in throughout my recovery!! Think good thoughts!

• I really hate the saying because really, luck has nothing to do with it, but for lack of a better alternative, good luck with your surgery.

Spine surgery is a very nerve-wracking ordeal and I understand what it feels like to be pre-op. You have a very strong faith and that will help you get through it and get on to recovery.

It's always good to talk to people that've had the surgery and I did the same thing. My outcome was different than all of them, but each one of us will recovery differently. Just be sure to follow doc's order and take very good care of yourself. This is major surgery so you need to treat it as such. Also, keep up on the meds post-op so you stay ahead of your pain. Once it gets ahead of you, it's hard to get control back.

I'm thinking of you Mark and wishing you all the best.
  • thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery. You will do just fine. Listen to your doctor and most importantly listen to your body. Walk as much as you can. It is all going to work out just fine you will see. Make sure you have help for at least the first full week when you get discharged- you are gonna need it for sure.

Don't forget to keep us posted on your progress!

Best wishes and a super fast recovery!!
  • I had my fusion on Sept 29 & Oct 1. It was the best decision I've made. I have been pain free in my legs since fusion. Practice your log rolling and pushing yourself up into standing position using your thigh muscles not your back, it will really help.Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have. I will be praying for you during your surgery and for a speedy recovery after surgery. God Bless!
  • mark

hope you have a good surgery and uneventful recovery.it is a very major surgery, i had mine in dec 08, and needed all the help i could get afterward. its especially important to take the meds to keep up with the pain, if what they gave you doesnt help, call your dr right away, dont hesitate. also dont bend twist or turn and always use the log roll when getting out of bed. if your nerves continue to be bad, call your dr and have him prescribe a valium on monday for you.
    god speed and i am praying for you. mike
  • I Had my fusion 360 l-4/s-1 8wks ago and remember how nervous I was before. I will be thinking of you and praying for you. Make sure you read the must have forum, it helped me so much. The things that helped the most in the hospital was my ear plugs (so noisy, very hard to fall asleep!!), my portable dvd player with earplugs, and my grabber, which I brought to the hospital with me. Be supper nice to the nurses and aids, I always was verbal with the thank you's and told them how much they were helping me, and it made a difference in how they treated me, I really feel that because I was so greatfull and told them so they gave me such great care, Made a big difference. Also, ask for as much pain meds as you need, keep your pain under control, once it gets bad, it is hard to get the level back down. Also, I am not sure about other peoples experience, but when i needed to roll or move around (change positions) I found it hurt much worse when the nurses moved me (using sheets to pull you this way and that), I figured out how to move myself fast after that because i could listen to my body and move slowly and at my own direction. Just an idea. Good Luck and take care.
  • Well the time is drawing near.. Man my surgery is Tuesday but I can already feel my heart beating a little.. I know I am in God's hands, I have the best Doc around but I am still rather frightened.. Just getting put under and going through this scares me.. The healing process, etc I can deal with, it is jsut hte initial "going under" and then waking up knowing you have just had major surgery.. HELP!!! :0)
  • Plenty of people thinking of you and I always thought the more the better. Not sure why, I just figured I would do better with more people on my side.

Dont worry about 'going under' - think of that part as having the best sleep of your life. I look forward to that bit - its the after I hate when you wake from the deep sleep for the first time and realize whats going on. Keep on the meds as long as needed, Dont be a hero because at the end of the day your the only one in pain and that matters to you. If something hurts you, stop and see if its amessage telling you that you should not be doing it or maybe doing it in a different way. Take as much time as you need to get on top of it all. Take vitamins and supplements to help you along too.

And as mentioned above - make a point to thank everyone. Its a simple thing to do, and when a nurse or someone is stressed or tired or overworked and you make sure he/she hears your heartfelt thank you, it just may make the difference to your whole experience. I know of people going thru exactly same surgery, surgeon, ward, food, nurses etc as me who hated every bit, and I cant see why as they were all just terrific to me. People are always ready to criticize but a thank you goes a long way.

Wont wish you good luck as you dont need that, but i will say best wishes for surgery, recovery and all - hope it turns out the way you plan. Be realistic as to what your goals are in relation to pain reduction at the end of this whole journey. Look forward to hearing your story - take care....
  • Well tomorrow is the day! The time hase come! I leave here at 5:30 AM and the surgery is at 7:00. Whew, I am just taking a deep breath, going to say a prayer and know that I am in God's hands.. That is comfort enough for me..
  • I hope you get a good nights sleep tonight, I know you will be fine and everything will go ok (I am putting my prayer in right now, i've got a direct line to the big guy!!!). Today has been rough for me, but I look back at where i was and know how far i have come and I know brighter days are ahead for both of us! Do you have lots of help and support? Remember to come back to us and tell us how things went ok?

• You bet!! I have tons of support and I am already ok with missing about 2 months of work.. I do not have to try to go back until after the New Year.. That is a good 2 months! I have wonderful family around me, the house is all set with sheets, grabber, and everything else I could get off the list on this forum which was a HUGE help!! I think I am set.. Now just the waiting.. Tick, tock, tick, tock..
  • Best wishes for tomorrow's surgery and a speedy recovery. Thinking healing thoughts for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • as I felt the same just before my 2 level fusion on Oct 5th. It was my first surgery ever, heck even my first time in the hospital period. I trusted my Dr 150% and was optimistic about the surgery and recovery. But somehow I couldn't shake being scared of the unknown. Then the morning of surgery came, and I was in so much pain, I felt like I couldn't wait for the surgery so I could begin my road to recover. Within a what seemed like a very short time, they were wheeling me back and the anesthesiologist was having me breath air that smelled like nail polish. Then I woke up and it was all done. I was in a lot of pain when I woke up, but they got the meds on board quickly and after that it was all up from there. And I was right. I'm on day 14 of recovery and feel great. I have almost no pain at all, really just stiffness and such. All of my previous symptoms are gone, and I feel better every day.

Just be strong and optimistic. It'll be over before you know it, and you'll be on your way towards recovery! Best wishes!
  • My best word of advice is to tell your anesthesiologist if you have any trouble with upset stomach from meds at all. I did and he gave me some special meds so that when I woke up I felt good and by the time I was in my room I was ravenous!

My dad is the one that told me to do that as he has had several surgeries, and also has stomach problems. He said he struggled for days after his first few surgeries with nausea and vomiting. Then he decided to talk to his anesthesiologist about it before one surgery, and the difference was like night and day.

It may not seem like a big deal, but you really have to be able to eat well after surgery because your body needs good nutrition to heal. Plus it's one of those things they'll keep you longer for if they feel you're not eating well enough.
  • Thank you!! I will keep you updted with my recovery.. It is almost here!!!!!!!!!!
  • Praying for you during your surgery and for a speedy recovery!
    John 14:27 (KJV)
    27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
  • Well at least you can add 1 more person to the list of those praying for you Mark. I'm having posterior fusion of L3-S1 on 10/29 so I'm right behind you.

Just think! We're going to be healed!! It will be so wonderful!!!
  • I'm off to the hospital everyone!! Whew I am already tired.. NO SLEEP lasntight.. Talk to you all soon!!
  • Sorry I missed your leaving home by 30 minutes. I will be praying for you and I look forward to hearing from you as soon as you can get back to your computer.

May the Good Lord Go with you.

Take Care

John B
  • as you have your surgery. I hope everything goes well today for you.

• Off to surgery myself on November 9th for a TLIF l4,l5-S1. I know your likely in recovery now and you won't see this until you return home. But, thinking of you and looking forward to hearing your results.

Take care of yourself.

• Well Mark, hopefully you're waking up from your surgery and heaving a big sigh of relief (oops, maybe heaving was the wrong word to use...).

I'm thinking of you today and hope everything went well and as planned. Good thing you were sleepy because you have plenty of time to rest now. I'm hoping that the hospital stay isn't too uncomfortable, but you'll be home before you know it and that's one of the best feelings in the world.

Hang in there, Mark. We're anxiously awaiting your first post-op report!

• Thinking of you and hoping you're doing well Mark. Will pray that your discomfort is little.
  • Mark, I'm new but was reading your thread because I am about to go in for surgery too. I hope as I write this that you are already recovering nicely from your surgery. You sure have a lot of people praying for you and a lot of people thinking about you. Hang in there. I'm basically feeling the same way you were. Less than five days for me. Take care.
  • Hope you are doing well by the time you read this. You are through the worse part, and things should get better. I am off to have surgery Monday, so I will check on you when I return. Get lots of rest and let others help you. Keep ahead of pain, and walk when you can. Even if its just to the bathroom. Keep your chin up..See u Love Robin
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I hope your surgery went well and you are on the mend!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Mark, where are you? Would like to know how you are doing and how your surgery went. Praying for you and wishing you a speedy recovery!