Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

facet joint injections and rfa

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Spinal Injections
hello, everyone i hurt my back this past march the doctor told me that i had a displaced disk and fratures of the s1 l5 vertbra pedicales i had 6 months of pt and 3 epidurles which really did not help much this past wednesday i had my 1st
facet joint shot the doctor told me that if this worked maybe he will try a rfa and if i still have the pain i will have to have a s1 l5 fusion which really scares me can anyone whos had a rfa give me any advice on what to expect from a rfa treatment as to how long before you can return to work after a rfa treatment i really hope this works for me because if i have to have a fusion i am not sure that i be able to return to my job a as newspaper pressman to make all of this worse this is a workers comp case and they are trying to make all of the desions about these treatments
i hope that all of this makes some kind of sense i am just worried and confused mjh

• Hi there!

I haven't had RFA, but have had facet joint injections. You say you've just had them - well if you wait just a little longer, you might find they actually help. In my experience, it takes a few days for things to settle down, then the steroids should start to take effect and you should feel some benefit (or not!).

You sound like I felt when all this first happened - worried and confused! While you're waiting for things to work etc., have a look through this site and try to make sense of what you've got. It does help to know why they're 'doing this and that', especially if people are making decisions about your future based on the results of your treatments.

I know how worrying it is, but try not to be. This is a great site for support and it helps to be informed and supported!

Bye, Val
  • Rhizotomy's. I used to get them done on Thursday and be back to work by Monday. The thing about this procedure is that you can not expect immediate results. It takes about 4-6 weeks for the nerve to die. You will have some pain and be uncomfortable for a few weeks after the procedure but hopefully return to work will be quick. If this works for you it works really well. Did the facet injection that you had last week work for you? This is usually a good indication that you may have good results from nerve burn. I always advise to try every possible less invasive procedure beforing going for surgery. Surgery holds no guarantees and should be saved for a last resort. Good luck and keep us posted.