Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fantastic Day!

gethealthyggethealthy Posts: 303
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Life seems to go a long and then you hit bottom only to find the top again.

I'm still in pain but I was able to arch my back, grab my abs really tight so my head was supported and speed my walk up.

I then was able to ride my exercise bike with a few speed intervals. I sit up straight and do not hold the handle bars so my posture is PERFECT.

My most enjoyable event was being able to very slowly do some of my favorite martial art forms.

I've been doing martial arts for a couple of decades so I have missed it tremendously. I had to close my school due to this surgery.

I think my form is going to be even better when I'm healed! I have to keep good posture or it hurts like the devil. Here come those trophies LOL I've always supported my students maybe I'll actually compete in forms myself when I'm better!

Something to look forward to!

Hope you all had some wonderful events today...

• I'm glad to hear you had a great day. You deserve it. :)
    Can I ask you a non spine related question???
    What is the youngest age you reccomend starting Karate classes?
    God Bless and Keep You (improving your form) :)
  • Sounds great. It's always wonderful to hear good news and positive attitude. Triumphs like you had today help us set goals, giving us something to look forward to. (I have to remind you not to over do it - it's the mom/teacher in me.) Glad you had a great day.
  • Yeah!!!!! It's so nice to hear some good news!!!
  • Some schools start kids at 5. I would take some kids at 6 but that's really young. They have such a tough time focusing.

If you find a school that does PEE WEE classes the little ones can have fun but to truly start learning 8 is the age most kids are ready. There are always exceptions.

The question I get a lot is which art is the best for kids and I always answer the one the best teacher is teaching. A good instructor can do so much for kids a bad one can do some damage.

I loved teaching kids. I miss it so much it's crazy. They made me laugh and made me cry to see how much they grew ugggg! I hope you find a teacher who really likes kids. That's so important!
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    WoooooHoooooo!!!! I hope it continues
  • hear this Lynn!! I love positive news. Hope you continue to feel better every day.

• Hi Lynn

So happy for you. You're an encouragement to us all and do keep letting us know how you're going. I'm sure you'll get right back into your martial arts.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I want to be an encouragement.

I hate that I got hurt but when given lemonade. I've started a website that I'll release when I'm a year post to share with folks that don't know about this site. I'm going to have a link here.

I'm going thru my wins and strategies. I think you'll like it when it's done.

I have to make some sense of this. Why I got stuck with 3 levels is tough. You can go back to contact sports with a 1 or 2 level but not a 3. I'll be able to do forms and low impact exercise but not my usual crazy stuff so sharing helps me get through this.

My doctor and my PT keep telling me how strong my body is. They tell me that I'm ahead of the game because I've been an active person.

They tell me I'll have to go back to being strong so I don't have to have more surgeries.

Keeping your core body strong and using good posture can help your spine get a nice rest. Bad posture and weak muscles plus excess weight is a recipe for failure.

Exercise has gotten me through so many physical problems. I have faith it will get me through this too.

I want to be able to encourage others to take that brave step and start exercising , losing weight if that's needed and fighting for a better quality of life.

I know some have no control over this. DDD can just kick your butt and not allow you to exercise but you can control your weight, stop smoking and eat well.

It's tough sometimes to not just eat chocolate everyday to go through this. I love chocolate and eating for sure. I absolutely LOVE to eat and have had to cut way back now that I can't workout like I did but I don't want make my recovery harder than it already is by putting on pounds.

This pep talk is the one I give myself every day. If it works for you take it and run with it. I pray you all heal and enjoy your new lives with your "special" spines.

• As usual, I love reading your posts! Hey, I walked around like a robot too for several months, 4. My ole bod was VERY protective of the ole neck. hehe It didn't want anyone getting near it or even looking at it wrong, in fear of being sliced open. I'm told that & it makes sense. On the other hand, because of the body protecting the neck, these muscles are now fighting their way back home, causing the ever so soreness, even around my ribs. sheesh. Do you have that too?
    I'm happy to hear you're being able to do some exercising again. I am too, very gingerly. Like you, I have "pep" talks with myself throughout the day. Good advice! Sure does help in a big way! That's the "good attitude" they all refer to in healing. You feel so helpless, and for so long too.
  • LOL! I love the "fear of being sliced up" I so identify.

I don't have the rib soreness but I do have upper back weird feelings. I don't know if soreness explains it. It's a feeling I've never had. It's like a strange ache. Not too bad just really odd. Everything starts to grab and I have to tell my body to knock it off! My neck is sore though.

Hope your day is GOLDEN my friend! :H