Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Upper Back Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Ive had upper back pain for years in one form or another, it started mostly between the shoulder blades. I would say that it came and went, mostly came, for the last 10-15 years but has gotten worse recently. I had a clean MRI in 2003 or 04, doc wasnt concerned.

Last year I noticed that it seems to extend lower now, more towards the middle of the back. Sometimes it gets very tight and sore right in the middle, and there is a small area of inflamation that is right next to spineon the right side. Sometimes this spot is sore to the touch, but definitely gets aggrivated when messed with. Massage seems to have the oposite effect, and it gets much more painful after rubbing. This tends to make the muscles in that area tight and sore.

Docs are reluctant to order another scan, and dont seem concerned.
Any thoughts.

• Put it this way - my MRI changed from last year, to this and now shows a collapsed disc, which wasn't 'collapsed' before.

Your muscle problem also sounds exactly like mine, although mine's lumbar. Baclofen helps my muscle and stops the pain temporarily, so it might be worth asking your doctor about that.

Knowing what I know now, in your position I'd insist on a new MRI!

Bye, Val
  • I am not a moderator or a regular here but I do have a ten year thoracic back pain history. I think you were exploring the correct avenue with the massage but need to get more specific. I have had lots of procedures and MRI's but I think my past years experience with trigger point release has been the most rewarding. I initially was using a tennis ball to rub the sore knots on my back. I think I was too vigorous which may have hapened with your massage. My therapist uses her elbow to apply pressure to the myofascial trigger/painful points. Too much rubbing can give the opposite effect which is the difference between massage and point work. I have raised, swollen areas on my back along with active and relaxed trigger points.
    I have pain every day but I have all kinds of techniques which I combine to deal with it. Early on, I hoped for a diagnosis so th3ey could cut out the pain but it is not that easy.
    Good luck with your next MRI.