Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie in pain and getting worse.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everybody, my name is Chris and I hope that by joining this board I can get some answers and maybe help. I was injured on the job Dec.30,2008 while unloading a truck(18 Wheeler, I am a class A driver). I have been initially treated for possible rotator cuff tear and then a labrum tear. I have taken 2MRI's and both came out negative for tears or anything else they looked for with the exception that they noted an unexplained larger amount of inflammation. My initial complaints were and still are: Pain in my R shoulder and arm down to my elbow, weakness in the arm with tingling from the middle of my back below the neck down into my hand(more often in the thumb)and extreme coldness with loss of feeling 70% of the time. I am unable to pull my arm above my chest, behind my back or across my body(I cannot get my arm past my left peck at all, it stops dead with severe tightening and pain the more I try and pull it across from R to L. I have pain in the shoulder almost all the time now, I have numbness above my right shoulder blade that starts just to the right of my spine below my neck in the brachial plexus area and runs into the right shoulder down the arm into the left thumb about 60% and something into my R pinky 40%. Right hand will swell 1.5 to 2 times its normal size and turn extremely cold. When it gets this cold the pain more than doubles in the shoulder joint. I get a stiff numb feeling between the shoulder blades in my neck and upper back area. When I turn my head I get a grading, crunching sound and begin to feel as if I am dizzy and start to hurt bad in the middle of my back(almost like a horrific muscle cramp).I get a lump on my right bicep just below the shoulder joint that can get as big as round as a golf ball and feels very hard(this happens when my arm get cold and numb). I can lift no more than 10 pounds with the right arm(I have been giving a lifetime 10 pound weight restriction on this shoulder and arm by doctor). Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, 3 days ago I was laying on a heating pad in my living room floor. I rolled over on my left side(cannot lay on right side at all)I put my left arm down to push myself up and thats when my wife and I heard(and I felt)a loud crunching pop in my back and left shoulder joint. Sounded as if someone snapped the bone in half. As a result of this I now get numbness and weakness in my left arm and hand as well, along with temporary blinding headaches(last no more than 30 seconds at a time when my neck crunches or grinds when moving it). I have not been able to make the cramping dull ache go away in the middle of my back since this happened. To make matters worse, I have seen 3 orthos, 1 neruo, had 8 weeks of pt, 2MRI's,3 steroidal injections in shoulder, 1 exam under anesthesia and they all come up blank with what could be wrong, they have since sent me to get a disability rating and tell me their is nothing they can do. I have been to the ER only to get turned away being told to see my regular doc. Problem, He wont take workcomp, I have been 5mths without pain meds and can barely take the pain and agony any more. The neuro doc wanted to run 4 tests but insurance denied as a result he said he felt the damage was not much if any at all, yet he told me one thing and said another. None of them will even begin to entertain the idea that maybe my back or neck could have been injured at all since they have no reason to think that there is something there causing the problem, even with all the signs and symptoms, they say I am compensating for the shoulder hurting. Final thought they all say good luck, get a great disability rating and enjoy social security. I am 33 and need help and supports, can anyone offer that, and maybe a little encouragement or insite. Thks Chris

• So sorry to hear your story! There has to be some way that you can get an MRI done of your neck. I was wrongly diagnosed as to having shoulder problems for a long time. It sounds to me that you definitely need more of a work up. You shouldn't have to suffer like this. Keep us posted. Maybe someone will be able to give you more information that can help you regarding work comp.

Best to you,

P.S. I think your phone number will be edited out of your post. It is highly discouraged to post personal information.
  • Thank you, Marianne on your heads up about the personal information. I wasn't thinking about that when I posted it. I have gone in and edited the post and removed it. I see you have your C5/6 fused, did you have similar symptoms with your arms being numb and your shoulders hurting. If I read right, the Cervical region deals with your arms and shoulders. Please correct me if I am wrong, don't want to post bad or misleading information. As for work comp, I have a real good lawyer, I can't complain he has been great. He has gotten me 2 different doctors when your only supposed to be able to get 1, other than the original one. They just aggravate me so much as they stand there and say well if you have symptom A,B, and F and not C,D, or E. Then your diagnosis is this. Well, that isn't always correct. I told them about the numbness in the middle of my back as well as over the right shoulder blade and into my arm. They seemed overwhelmed that I was doctoring my self. The second Ortho told me to get off the internet and quit looking up problems that didn't exist. I promptly told him where his sun could rise and set(no cuss words where used either)He said I was over compensating for the shoulder and then told me that he could no longer be my doctor as I had already reached my 8 weeks maximum that he could treat me. I was sent to take a FCE(Functional Capacity Exam), which showed severe deficits in my ability to lift and carry weight. After taking the exam, I returned to his office a week later, and the nerve of this guy. He said my test showed I could lift no more than 10 pounds with my right shoulder or arm. He then gave me 2 options. Take the ten pound restriction or I could look the other way and tell him I was okay and take my chances with the shoulder. I don't have to tell you what went on next. He had to have me removed from the office, I was livid with this jerk. He was by the way the same doctor who took care of my dad(he had to have his inner meniscus removed from right knee). The doctors own anithesiologist told him that he could not due the work because of his heart. This guy had the nerve to tell my dad that if he could get a decent ekg he would operate. When questioned about the possibility of blood clots forming and going to his heart, the jerk said "Well thats the breaks sometimes, win some and lose some, do you want the knee fixed or what?" As it happened my Dad was taken to the ER several days later and Had a 4 way heart bypass. I wonder how this Doc keeps his license. I will quit chatting your ear off. I will keep all informed and thanks for caring enough to drop me a reply. Thks Chris
  • I am now 9 months into this with no relief from the pain. I need support spiritually and mentally as this is wearing me down. I sleep maybe 3 hours a day if I can stand the pain. The insurance company only wants to know when I want to settle(I have an attorney working on this case for me), I can't get an ER or workmed type clinic to help me as they are afraid since its work related, go figure that one. My company fired me in February of 2008, saying that I could not return to full work status in 6 weeks as per company policy(of which does not exist)I sought the advice of an attorney for wrongful discharge but since I can no longer physically perform the job I have no claim of lost wages as a result of the termination. Only my faith in God and his love and compassion with that of my family has kept me from personal harm. It gets harder everyday to stay positive, I am unable to get pain meds so I hurt constantly without relief, my marriage is suffering and I have no idea what to do from here? That's my friend's is my story, I would love to hear yours. If you would like to call me thats fine, please no crank calls or angry ones, I have no time for that stuff, and we are all adults here. I just need someone who had been there done that. I Thank you everyone for your time, Patience and your ears. Thks Chris
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry for the trials and troubles you are going through... walking with the Lord, you can never go wrong.. perhaps being here with others suffering as you are and with similar stories will bring you some comfort. it always helps to know we are not alone and you are never alone here on the forum.. please check out a nearby teaching hospital. i have used them for years and gotten great treatment. there is a post about them under the "Health Insurance Issues" forum. good luck and keep in touch with your Lord. :D you have no greater friend. Jenny
  • I too have had great results from a teaching hospital but I must wonder if they would feel the same as the ER that you went to about it being a W/C case. Does your lawyer have any advice at all? I wouldn't think that it will be in your best interest to settle until you can get a correct diagnosis. Check out the Insurance topic on this forum and you will find lots of folks living the w/c nightmare. Good luck and please keep us posted.