Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does getting in & out of your car increase your pain?

MaggiePMMaggieP Posts: 349
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:37 AM in Lower Back Pain
IUp until April of this year, I drove a Honda CR-V. It was very easy to get in and out of, and comfortable to drive. I traded it in this spring on a new Honda CivicEX. When I first tried it out, and drove around town, it seemed comfortable to me. Now after a couple of long trips in it, getting in and out for food, breaks, gas, etc. I am having a lot of trouble getting out of it. It sits quite low to the ground. And no adjustable lumbar support. I have tried a small pillow, towel, etc. to help support my back, but doesn't help much. Any suggestions on which vehicle is the most comfortable for you? I hate to trade vehicles again so soon, but it's getting to the point where I may have to do it. I'm looking at a Ford Excape SUV, which I sat in today. Didn't have to bend down at all, just kind of slide in.
So, ideas please!!

Maggie
advertisement

Comments

• I have always found it easier to ride in vehicles slightly higher, like SUVs. Low to the ground vehicles are horrible for me. When I was working, there were some mornings I would drive home and then not be able to get out of the car. I would take pain pills and just sleep for a couple of hours in my driveway until the pills kicked in so that I could get out and get in to the house.

Besides a slightly higher vehicle, I love the ones with heated seats! Nice perk, helps keep me from feeling like my back is so tight.
  • I have lumbar DDD and chronic pain despite a laminectomy. I've found getting in and out of my SUV and driving any distance almost intolerable over the past year. It seems the only time I'm fairly comfortable is when someone else drives and I use a lumbar cushion in the passenger seat.

Just resting my left leg while I drive seems to increase my lower back and left leg through toe pain.

I'm also seriously considering getting rid of the SUV as the strain to steer it is also making my cervical issues far worse.
  • :H Yes, getting in and out of a car affects me. I have a SUV and will never go to a car because of the height thing. I'm 5'8" tall and trying to fold up my lanky body into a car is not fun.

After much trial and error playing with seat cushions, I'm finally somewhat comfy when driving.

Take care,

Judy
  • Hi Maggie

I find i have excrutiating pain trying to get in the car after i have worked alte shift and my hubby comes to pick me up.
    I have always had more problems once i stop doing somethng and my back seems to lock up.

It has got so bad that i choose to walk home instead.
  • i drove a SAAB for years the a Nissan X Trail {too much like a van} but then bought a Hyundai tucson SUV fantastic .i recommend them they are fantastic go for the 2 ltr diesel .i have had smaller normal cars in between but they kill my back ..the SAAB was fine once i was in it but getting in and out ..murder on the back ..honestly go for the hyundai tucson and you get a 5 year warranty
    STRAKER
  • We also have found the ease of entry benefit that a good SUV brings.
    Our mid-age relatives have all changed to an SUV where they can, for the same reason.
    No more standard cars for us.
    Too hard on the lower back, seats too close to the floor, with knees up.
  • Being 6'5", I have always had troubles getting in and out of most cars. After my leg pains started, i got myself a Ford F150 4 door truck. It has running boards on it which gives me another place to step in order to provide comfort. I can actually stretch my legs out fully while driving and ease the pain some.
  • I have had issues with cars and traded 3 times until I found one that works for me. I had a crossover, then I couldnt get in and out of it. Too car like. Then I fought it tooth and nail and got a mini van because of the comfort of getting in and out and the ride. After my fusion, we got rid of it. It was impossible for me to get into without twisting and bending. I ended up in a Lincoln Naviagator, the ease of getting in and out and the ride is much better than most SUVs..It is not new by any means:( But it is the best I have found for lumbar, but any amount of riding very far, does tend to irritate my back. Hope this helps.
  • We have 4 vehicles. A Corvette, Monte Carlo, Silverado and Celica.

The Monte is the easiest followed by the Celica. The Silverado is the 4x4 version with offroad package. It sits high enough that getting in is harder than getting out. The Vette I just fall into but getting out requires some effort. But I don't care. Driving makes up for it.

Not sure which vehicle I will drive after surgery.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.