Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Acute Lumbar Srain???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Lower Back Pain
My husband was hurt at work while attempting to move a 4500 lb crate with a floor jack. The crate was on a truck and they were attempting to move it out far enough to get a fork lift under the side. When it let loose it pinned him between the handle of the floor jack and a cart that caught him in the back of his thighs. The floor jack handle hit at hip-bone level and bent him back slightly. He now has a severe sharp pain in his left lower back and can not feel his left leg. The doctor is treating him for an acute lumbar strain. He has since had one episode where his left leg went completely paralyzr=ed for a few seconds while attempting to walk up the stairs. He is scheduled for an EMG, but only after he called to WC Insurance company and complained. I am very scared that their is a more severe injury that was missed. Any suggestions on what we should do next?

• The only thing that I can think of might be an MRI or an xray. I am kind of surprised that has not been done yet. If it does end up being a back injury it can be quite a process to get a diagnosis. I am sorry to say that I have not heard many good things about dealing with w/c. Hopefully it is something mild that will resolve itself with time. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • As far as I know, a muscle strain, no matter how bad, does not cause loss of feeling or sensation in an extremity. This is caused by a nerve that is compressed. I suppose you could call it a strain, as it is possible for a muscle or other soft tissue to become so swollen that it could impinge on a spinal nerve....(thinking a loud here... @) )

In any case, it only makes sense to take a MRI or a CT scan before performing an EMG and nerve conduction study. This will only show any nerve damage. It will not show anything else that may be wrong. Could your primary care doc order a MRI for your husband?

An EMG is usually not the first test performed. It provides additional information, but again, is only dealing with nerves.

I hope your husband will be able to get a MRI, if he has not done so already.

• I have injured my back at work twice and went to an occupational health place for care. On both occasions they said it was a lower back strain. I was allowed to get an MRI at about 6 weeks after each injury. The first injury required fusion for spondylolisthesis. For the second injury, I have gotten 2 opinions and am awaiting approval to get hardware taken out. Both surgeons said hardware was placed wrong and is hitting a nerve (original surgeon moved). So my point is, I think they say all low back injuries are strains. Start asking for an MRI to see what is really happening. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.