Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dr. office manager problem

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Medications
I have been seeing the same Dr. since 2005. In 2002 I had a fusion of L5 to S1. But the nerve damage was done beyond repair. Over the years I have taken all types of pain meds and in May '08 had a spinal stimulator implanted. It at best works 50% of the pain. The office manager has had a attitude with me since over a year ago when I was taking oxycontin. I do not take any longer. Her exact words were " too much of that med fly's out of this office". Since when is it her business what patients take. She has now launched a personal campaign against patients who take pain meds. I actually heard her on the phone talking to a potential new patient saying "what meds are you taking" "because we are not taking new patients who take pain meds". Needless to say my jaw hit the floor. I'm sure HIPPA laws are being violated here. Every month I dread going in to have to face her scrutiny. I am afraid of changing doctors as the stigma attached to ANYONE who HAS to take pain meds make it nearly impossible. Again the rule of the minority of abusers affects the majority who need them.

About to give up altogether.

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

The first question in my mind is does the doctor (or doctors) know about this? After all, they're the ones who are prescribing the meds that are "flying out of this office."

I'd let the doctor know what's happening with the office manager and tell him/her about your concern and apprehension in continuing with their services.

• another error-sorry again- :D Jenny :)
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i cannot advise you on your problem but this type of thinking is sprinkled throughout the medical community. it is a problem we all deal with at one time or another..good luck and remember to think before you speak when you are in there!!! :D Jenny :)
  • First let me say Hi and welcome to spine-health. This past week I had a opportunity to sit through a seminar given by a doctor. I took many things away from the seminar. The doctor discussed why so many docs are not prescribing meds. A large part is in fact to the insurance company constantly sending paper work wether or not a patient needs such drugs. Now you have to realize from the insurance aspect these are generic forms that go out. For example they can pick drug xyz and then the computer system generates the paperwork for any policy holder taking xyz drug. So I would suspect the office manager has filled tons of those out, or she has been personally effected from someone using illegal drugs. None of this gives her the right to address you the way she does though. Many times I see the office staff protecting the doctor and the doctor has no idea it is going on. I do understand your concerns about changing docs. There is nothing worse than having to go some place and being upset before you enter the door, when it is deemed to help you. Keep in mind that employee is there daily with the doctor and has a better relationship with the doctor as well, more than likely. Now if you really feel a injustice is being done by this employee to the doctor you could bring it up in a subtle way, possibly kind of hint towards it and get him looking in the right direction.

Anyway, have a look around the forums and there is lots of useful information here,as well as many members facing the same challenges you are. Once again welcome to spine-health. Take care.
  • have a discussion with the doctor about what is being said to you, and about the conversation that you overheard regarding her telling a potential new patient that this office is not prescribing medications.
    It is his livelihood that is being effected and his relationship with his patients, both current and potential that is being effected as well. Unfortunately, in busy practices, you would be surprised at how little the doctors are aware of that the office staff is doing, since their concentration is where it should be, interacting with those that are paying to see him/her.
    If he tells you that she is telling patients correct information and that she is following office policy, it may be time to seek out a new PM practice, but if not, you are making him aware that her commentary is disturbing , and if you are bothered by it, then I'm willing to bet that others are too.
  • I agree with Cath. I would talk to the DR about it as he may have no idea that you are being treated this way. Maybe he will at least have a talk with the employee. I know how you feel. I have left perfectly good docs just because the office staff was rude and uncaring. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
    BTW- I think that it would seem reasonable to seek a new doc at this point. If for no other reason to get a fresh set of eyes to look over things.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    There are problems when you have medical questions or situations that you are forced to deal with admin folks , the office manager, etc.

My reply: When you can hand a MD sign on your door, I will listen to you, until then these conversations will only be between the doctor and me
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i kinda know how you feel.when i was getting all my bottom teeth pulled i ask the front desk lady what type med was going to be used to put me asleep.she said something like if you don't like how we do things here that i just could leave.i;m thinking why is this lady yelling at me?anyway my wife said the dentist was close by and heard eveything.when i went back for follow up the lady was gone.i hope it wasn't her day off..
  • We are not just patients, we are medical consumers, customers if you will. We have the right to be treated with dignity and respect just as if we were buying a new appliance od auto. If we are not satisfied with our current PM Dr or any office policy, of course bring it the Dr attention and try to have it resolved. if it is not resolved, write a letter explaining why you are leaving, ( not Dr shopping) and find a new Dr. You have evry right to do so.