Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Burning in hands-anyone -anyone have advice for helping relieve it?

Laurie AnnLLaurie Ann Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Chronic Pain
the burning sensation is driving me nuts! I took my meds-Vicodin,neurontin,relafin,flexeril. nothing is helping. Anyone have wasy of relieving the pain??????? I'll try anything.

• Laurie Ann,
    My mom also has peripheral neuropathy only the sensation that you explain is in her feet instead of her hands. From what I understand of the condition, it can effect either. She uses ice packs a lot for her feet or a bucket of cold water. She says that it feels like they are burning from the inside out. Is it the same for you? She says that the ice packs help for a little while but you have to be careful not to use them for too long each time or too often(never more than 15-20 mins at a time and a 1/2 hour in between uses. Since people with peripheral neuropathy are sensory deprived due to the nerves dying off, you have to be careful not to literally freeze your hands or feet (frost bite) which you may not feel happening. Have you tried either of these? Lauren.
  • thoracic outlet syndrome? as burning hands and numb fingers etc are some of the symptoms
  • These symptoms can be from many issues. You need t og oto a doctor and get the tests done to determine the exact cause. I have peripherial neuropathy in my legs,feet,arms and hands. Cant win for losing. Right now we are concentrating on my legs and feet. I had a SCS stimulator placed on Jul 8 2009. It helps great. In time, when pain gets too bad, we will implant for arms and hands also. I went through almost 2 years of testing to rule out causes. My PM thinks i may have MS, but there is no test to confirm this, only rule out other conditions.
  • Hi L.A.
    I am not sure if you are experiencing the same as I but I do have what I might explain as burning in hands @ times.
    Does the burning come and go?
    I mostly get the strange sensations in hands when I wake up from sleep or they sometimes wake me up during sleep. I believe mine have to be from some position that I have my neck in while I am sleeping.
    Most the time I still sleep with a soft collar neck brace on because this stops me from getting the sensations in hands and arms..
    When I don't put the collar on before sleep I will wake up with the sensations. And if I have slept that way for hours the sensations are worse and last longer, one time it did last for one whole day with no relief.
    I don't know if this will help you, but when this does happen I have found that laying on my back,with head looking straight up towards ceiling then putting arms above my head and hands resting on flat surface with palms of my hands towards ceiling..(this helps me, I hope it will help you)
    Just a suggestion...

• sharpfoxssharpfox washingtonPosts: 1
    I know it's been several years but for those out there still struggling with identifying the cause of these flare-ups, I suggest looking into Peripheral Neuropathy. It sounds like a sensory nerve problem. If you google the symptoms they are almost exclusively located in your hands and feet.
This discussion has been closed.