Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Capsaicin cream for nerve pain?

Faith MFFaith M Posts: 287
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:37 AM in Pain Medications
Has anyone ever tried this? My doctor has me putting it directly on my toes. The cream causes a burning sensation and it does distract me from the pain a bit. I think it's made from the oil of a hot pepper and the burning is meant to make your body release pain fighting endorphins. My doctor said it may help the nerve endings to become less sensitive. Where applied, it heats up during a hot shower. I like that, since I ALWAYS have trouble with my foot in the shower. I don't take nerve pain meds anymore and I'm looking for something that can help, other than increasing meds. Has anyone else used this for nerve pain?

Faith M
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Faith. I was told to use the capsaicin on my upper back & shoulders. I have failed acdf c5/6 & in
    much pain. He told me to mix it with lotion about 1/4 capsaicin & 3/4 lotion to start. It burns terribly! The shower was horrible burning. I can't put it on myself & is hard to remember to have husband do it for me at night. So, I don't use it often at all. I don't know why he reccomended it. I think for the same as you. Good luck with it.
  • I haven't used capsaicin myself, but I was discussing it a while ago with my doctor and I know that you need to apply it regularly to the same area for about 2-4 weeks before it takes full effect. It's made from chili peppers and works by inhibiting the release of 'substance P', a chemical released by nerve endings that transmits pain sensations. A lot of people stop taking it because of its main side effect - the burning sensation described above by both Faith and kimmeam. This sensation is supposed to fade with repeated use, but you need to be careful to keep the cream on the same area, otherwise the burning can start up again on any area of the skin that's not used to it. Moisture can enhance the discomfort felt on application, so it makes sense that showering would make it worse! It's also recommended that disposable gloves are used when using the cream.
  • didnt burn or even get warm, used it for about a month, guess im a freak ? got better relief from deep heat (sorry if im not allowed to mention brand)
  • It burned the first 2 days I used it, and now only burns in the shower. I can tell you it didn't help me at all during my walk yesterday. I'll keep trying it to see the full effect. We'll see...

Faith M
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    but not for nerve pain. But I guess it could help there. Capsaicin, like others have mentioned is associated with hot peppers. I've always wondered what the capsaicin creams scoville level was.
    Basically it helps circulate the blood. Its similar to the concept behind the medical magnets. When the blood flows faster, the healing process should also speed up.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • It's good to know that it helps circulation, my toes need all the help they can get.

Faith M
  • im on this cream..i started using it yesterday..it burned si much it kept me awake on and off last night ..and this morning ....i just hope the burning stops and helps the nurve endings to calm down finally

H
  • Not only does this stuff heat up in the shower, but it really starts burning if you work up a sweat. I'm talking six to eight hours after applying it, it would burn like fire if I started sweating. I have found it difficult to use it with any consistency mostly because of the discomfort.
  • yeah i found that too .. i was doing some odd jobs and it was warm so i started up a swet and OMG it certainly made it burn and that was about 6 hours after i applied it
    so yeah i have decide to use it only when im not doing anything and not before i go to bed as i get warm at night and i cant sleep with it

H
advertisement