Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NEED ADVICE Pain Med Problems

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Medications
What to do if you know a family member has been taking your Vicodin... I was short, now I look bad. Dr. won't refill my meds. My online pharmacy account says I am denied access...What the heck? Should I go in and tell him whats going on? I have been off my medication for 3 weeks now. That was not easy, just quitting cold turkey, But I'm doing pretty good now, just taking tylenol & using my heating pad & TENS unit. I have an appointment in a few days. I am thinking that these stupid pills aren't with all of the grief. BTW - the person who I know has been scamming my pills (But never caught red handed so I dont have proof) Is an addict & alcoholic and has been in rehab before, most recently early 2009 & Is sort of in legal trouble right now - and I dont want to pour fuel onto this already burning fire. I think he is in enough trouble already... So here I am now, I am probably cut off of my meds because I refilled them too early because I ran out early. I feel like id I go in and tell all of this to the Dr. he will think I'm a liar druggie. I'm just ignorant and it never occured to me what was happening until it was too late. I dont want to get myself into trouble to save this jerks skin. I feel like I am in an impossible position. He is married to someone I love dearly and I would do anything to protect her, she has been through enough with him, she herself ie ready to have a nervous breakdown. I'm thinking maybe I should go in, tell him what happened, tell him I dont want to be on pain meds anymore and go find a surgeon to correct the disc. it's a C5 herniation. I have just been praying for guidance. I was always worrying how I would ever get off of this rollercoaster of injections & pain meds. I am only 39. I can't keep this up the rest of my life. Maybe now is the time to stay off? I felt like I was bwecoming immune to them anyway... Please, any feedback would be great. I'm new here. This is my first post.

• I would go in and tell my doctor what I "suspect" happened. I would also tell her that I now have purchased a secure lockbox to keep them in. (Everyone should have one in my opinion for this very reason) and rather or not you point out who you think it was is up to you. You could say you had various people in and out of your home and it could be anybody, but realistically, you aren't doing the person a favor by covering up for them, or yourself. You have nothing to feel bad about, even if you love the person who this person is with. You aren't doing her/him any favors by covering up either. They need to know what this person really is like - just that simple. You did nothing wrong, other than leave your meds where they could be found. Fix that, then go tell the doctor what happened. As far as surgery, that is a personal choice. I personally will NEVER have another back surgery because it did worse to mine, but many have success, so that is something only you can decide. My friend's son OD'd, nobody knew he was on ANYTHING, after his death, they found all sorts of bottles of meds in his sock drawer in various pairs of socks. ALL of the bottles had names of family members and friends, he had stolen them from many, many people. Don't be a part of something like that, do the right thing - that is my 2 cents. Good luck...
  • If I were to tell you all about what he has pulled you'd be surprised he wasn't dead already. I think I have NO CHOICE but to go in and explain...I would like to at least save my dignity here. I NEVER thought someone could be taking my medication from me. It never crossed my mind. I REALLY thought that the Pharmacy was shorting me...not by alot, but something was not seeming right to me. Then it got Bad. Like running out 2 weeks early... Then I started putting 2 + 2 together. And who could have been respossible for this, and BINGO. It all was crystal clear... I can't even sleep this is so upsetting to me. Thank U soooo much. I have been afraid to discuss this with family or friends. So glad I found you.
  • If your meds were stolen, you really need to file a police report. It would probably go along ways toward getting your doctor and pharmacy to take you seriously, too.

And personally, I wouldn't worry about pouring fuel on an addict's fire - the hotter the fire, the faster he'll hit bottom.
  • Marie,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. I see you have neck issues so you might want to check out the neck forum, as well. There is also some great articles and blogs written and reviewed by doctors, besides the forums.

As far as the person who stole your pills, you aren't helping them by letting them escape any ramifications of taking your meds. I had some what a similar situation with a co-worker who was covering while I was out of work. It finally hit the point the person knew when I was at therapy or gone and was climbing in a window. I decided to turn them in to my employer. The problem was they needed help and help that I wasn't qualified nor had the energy to provide them. Long story short that person eventually lost their job family and house, before rock bottom hit. But I needed to separate myself from the issue. So don't feel you are helping the person by not telling on them.

As far as telling the doctor what has happened, keep in mind the doctors are forced with these issues a lot. So there is a probability the doctor may not believe you, if you are not taking legal action and making a police report. I myself just went without and endured the pain, although I did go through my employer to get her away from my home. It solved the problem in my home, but it didn't help her as she continued on that addiction path. While we understand what has happened, the doctors just been played to many times by the addicts and they are a bit hardened by this issue. So you can go with being honest but don't be surprised if the doc doesn't believe it. Hopefully, he will see you a honest individual who is in a bad situation. The one thing is because I don't have that behavior or been exposed to drug addicts I never dreamed someone would steal someone's meds. Nothing I had ever thought of. I also would never open anyone's medicine cabinet to see what is contained in it. So maybe explaining that you were naive to what a addict is will help, I know I was.

Anyway just wanted to stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Take care.
  • The person who took mine has also been fired from his job already,then he went to detox for 7 days, then to inpatient rehab for 30. Got out and started right back off from where he left off with pills, booze, he even drank his wifes whole bottle of Codeine cough syrup. I suspect he was coming to my house when I was with his wife (Shopping or to the hair salon or whatever we had planned), as well as whenever he was over to visit which back then was quite often. SHE had access to my house (spare key)he could have used. They live 2 streets away from me. This person has been in the newspaper for his actions in the past few years. Most recently in July. I wonder if I should print the articles and take them to my doctor. I have already eliminated all contact with this guy. I just am struggling what to do about my doctor & my future :( Thanks for all the love, you guys are great, really.
  • Most of this has been covered above.

The theft of pain medicine is a crime. Plain and simple. File a police report, you can tell them who you suspect, but since you have no real proof, it likely will not add much fuel to the fire/trouble they are already in.

The Police report in hand, may help you with your PM.
    If I had a surgical option I would be investigating it fully. Since you have been off the pain meds for a while and are doing OK, only you can really decide if "ok" is ok.

• No doubt a theft. I feel like I've been more than just stolen from! Maybe that is what I need to do, go file a report. I was going to cut him out of my life and be done with it, but the problem is still on my plate. I am doing OK without the meds. Better than I thought I would be. I was pretty nervous about it. I had RLS for a few days. I just drag my feet with the surgery because they say they will go in through my throat...Just scary to me. Thanks W
  • Is/was a member here and went through that surgery. She had excellent results. Like you, she had more problems with the meds.

Search out some of her posts down in the Neck,back, surgery section and the one she posted when she came back from her trip.

Maybe some of her posts will help.
  • have another trustworthy family member that you could keep your meds at their house? That this addict would not have access to? You are the only one that knows if you still need the pain meds or not but I would not suffer in silence. I would be honest with my doc and if you have not had other issues with your meds there is really no reason for the doc not to believe you. Your doctors visit is confidential and I don't think it would become a case where the doc would be able to cause any problems for the addict. I do believe that you would have to have a fail safe gameplan for any future meds before the doc would write another script for you. You would probably be surprised if you knew how many folks this has happened to and there is a good chance that your doc has dealt with this situation before. Good luck to you and keep us posted.
  • Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I also agree with everyone else to file a police report to gain more credibility with your doctor. Get that spare key back from your friend- I'm sure she'll understand. This guy only cares about himself and you're not doing him any favor by keeping him out of trouble.

Next time, don't tell anyone what meds you're on. Keep people out of your home who you know has problems with addiction. You shouldn't have to hide things in your own home. Keep your pain meds locked up somewhere safe; this also includes muscle relaxers, sedatives, etc. Never carry a full bottle of pain pills on you when you're out in case of loss or theft. I take only a few with me in a decoy bottle and keep the rest secured at home.

I hope things work out for you and you get to feeling better. Take care
  • I bet it happens ALOT JJ... Both ways... People stealing them, people abusing them... Thats what I'm worried about, that he'll think "Same old song and dance - heard this one 10 times this week" Thats why I was thinking of taking in some of the articles from the news about this jerk. I'll keep ya posted. God help me...Just pray for me!
  • Just be honest with your doc and maybe his radar will go up a little with you but just prove to him over time that you are responsible with your meds. Good luck.
  • Please do report the person whom you even think stole your pills; remember they are committing a federal felony in taking them. If you don't report them, at the very least you are an enabler to their addiction, and possibly an accomplice to their crime.

I am sorry you are suffering, but I don't know if your doc will refill your meds - highly doubt it if they know they have been "diverted" even against your will. Filing a report will show at least your taking a stand against letting this happen again.

Finally, I know this is expensive - but they now make safes (they are actually intended to keep handguns under beds or under car seats, but can be equally useful for meds) that read your fingerprint and your fingerprint alone - they run about $120.

That person is lower than scum to steal meds from a post-op surgical patient, and its sound like their significant other you are trying to protect could use more of a wake-up call too.

Prayers that your pain eases up and that you find the courage to put that scumbag in his place!
  • Please report and confront this person. I had a very close friend who was struggling with addiction. I distanced myself from him for a long time, but let him back into my life. Before he came over I hid my medication, but for 1 minute when I had my back turned he managed to find it while claiming to go to the bathroom. He denied taking it and I told him he did not need to lie to me. I should have reported it to the police but I didn't. He died to a drug overdoses less than a week later. Addiction is a terrible disease and many of these people cannot control their action.
  • So very sorry this has happened to you.
    I have not had any of my pain meds stolen but I do have a nephew who would steal them if given a chance.
    What I do is count out what I take in one day and put on them in a seperate bottle. The rest I hide.
    I also write down the time I can take my meds and cross that time off when I take one.This way I keep track of how often I am taking my meds and if any come up missing I can spot it in a instant.
    If I am out for a day all I carry with me is the seperate bottle.
    Just a thought. Hope you get everything sorted out.
    BTW.....I had a C fusion and they went through the side of my neck. Have not had any problems since.
    Patsy W :H