Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disability Hearing

J.J.GreyJJ.J.Grey Posts: 2,961
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Well the hearing part is over and I am so glad. I will get a decision in the next 60-90 days and will keep you guys posted. Normally the attorney knows after the hearing but I can't say that I had a good attorney. He said that he thinks it went OK but if not we will appeal. Sounds 50/50 to me.

• I hope you get the answer soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I really appreciate your support.
  • I will keep my fingers crossed and hope everything works out for the best for you.
  • How did your hearing go? Was the judge nice or did he grill you? I'm sure you're glad it's over! I wish you the best of luck.

Faith M
  • was very hard to read. He only asked me a few questions. I noticed that he never made eye contact with me. He never looked up from his computer monitor even when he was questioning me. It was weird because my lawyer asked me all of the questions. Kind of like being cross examined. I have very strong medical evidence and doctor support so I think it will be OK. SSD sent me to their own doc in the beginning and they even agreed that I was disabled. It was shortly after my surgery so they just said that they did not believe that it would last 12 months or more. That was almost 2 years ago. My lawyer did say that my age is working against me because I am under 50. I am 46 almost 47. Thanks for all of the well wishes and I will keep you posted.
  • How long do you have to wait to have an answer?
  • Very long days. I should hear between Christmas and my 30th anniversary in January. That is how I am keeping track of it anyway.
  • My age didn't hurt my case JJ. I was 46 years old in June when I won disability. Hopefully your age won't hurt you either. My medical was solid like yours and that should win it for you. Hang in there!

Faith M
  • I really feel lucky to have such a supportive group of friends.
  • but honestly if you have your Doctors behind you and strong medical facts age shouldn't matter...

Iam only 43 and I was awarded SSD in 8 months. I never had to see one their Doctors and never went through a hearing. I believe it was because of my medical records and my Doctor and surgeon was behind me 100%.
    I have a feeling your going to be awarded, and just think of all the back pay!!!
    Let us know when you get the good news.
  • I wish that I could keep some of the back pay. I am lucky in that I have LTD from my last employer. I am greatful that I did not have to go 2 years with no pay at all but any back pay will go to my attorney and to the LTD company as an offset. I have read lots of SSD articles online and my attorney confirmed that it is much harder to get approved if you are under 50. I agree that is not fair and should have nothing at all to do with it.
  • Went for my hearing on the 15th sept 09 still waiting for the out come. My laywer asked me more Questions then the judge wich who was very nice also there was a Votec person there and she told the judge that she could not match for me at all. I am 53 yrs old .My Laywer told me that it sounds like I will get it I sure hope so and good luck to you

• I know the waiting is hard but we all know that the government does nothing fast. I also think that it sounds good for you. I think that is key that the voc rehab expert could not match you with anything. I will keep me fingers crossed for you. Let me know how you make out.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I was 54 when I won mine. I was on my last appeal if you remember. And I hired a attorney that only did ssdi cases. I was told he was the best in the area and he was!(actually he was 150 mi. away)
    We did it all by phone,fax, mail. And I never met him face to face. But he won my appeal and I never even had to appear! Although I had to give up a little of the back pay.
    When it comes to attorneys, It's who they know and how well they are respected.
    You know the old saying "Its not what you know it's who you know"!!!
    I'll be saying a prayer for you.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • well not long after I posted yesterday the mail passed and low and behold there was a letter from SSD and it said that their decision -Fully Favorable AND I SAY THANK YOU JESUS
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Good for you! I hope J.J. gets the same letter!!!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Ron, That is great news! Only took you about 6 weeks. I am very happy for you!

Jim, I hope the good attorney thing does not hold true in my case. He did seem to know everyone there but I was not at all impressed with my attorney. By the time that I figured him out it was too late just a few days before my hearing.

Thanks again to all for all of the well wishes. I will definitely let you all know the minute that I hear. It will be great if it only takes 6 weeks instead of 12.